Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

BCM Replacement W/Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM Replacement W/Pics.

I was looking for a BCM replacement tutorial and couldn't find one so I figured, "Hey, I've gotten lots of help from LS1tech, maybe its time to give back" So, I took some pictures, thought up some steps, and here is the finished product-------------------------------*Disclaimer: I am not responsible for damage to any vehicles by anyone who attempts this repair. This tutorial is to be used as a suggestion only. If you can't do it, don't do it.*
I got a replacement Body Control Module that was thrown in with a steering column I bought on ebay. This is how I replaced my old one in a 2000 TA. My car was missing a bunch of bolts/screws so If you encounter some that I didn't mention, just let me know.

Tools needed: Phillips Screwdriver, Flathead screwdriver, 8mm socket/wrench, 7mm s./w.,Pliers, Some sort of hammer, flashlight

1. The first thing you will want to do is disconnect the negative terminal on your car battery. (This is probably unnecessary, but I would do it anyways just to be on the safe side.)

2. The BCM is on the passenger side of your car under the Dash. You will need to take out the passenger side knee panel. (In my car there were 4 phillips head screws, however I doubt they were stock.)

Workspace

3. Once that is done, You will need to take out the glove box. There are 3 7mm screws that you need to take out. After they are out, it should drop right out.

Screw locations

4. After this, you should be able to see the BCM in its slot. However in order to take it down, you have to remove the floor to door plastic panel. There are 4 phillips screws.

Continued Next post
Old 07-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Teching In

5. Bcm is in the little slot.

6. Next, you have to unclip the wiring harness (Bundle of wires) from the knee panel support.

Clip

7. Move the harness out of the way, and pull the BCM down out of the slot.

8. Now, Disconnect the wires from the BCM. (It wouldn't be a GM clip if it weren't hard to get out.) The blue clip is all you need to take off of the main wires, and the green/ grey clips just need to be pushed in on one side.

SUCCESS! You now have disconnected your old BCM.

If you are not bleeding by this point, you are doing very well. I took a chunk of finger out with a screwdriver.

Things to think about when putting back together:

Test your new BCM before you put it into its slot. (You wont regret this) Use a mallet to put the floor to door plastic panel back in. While putting your Glovebox back in don't screw the bottom in while it is closed. Keep it open until finished. If your BCM is used, and you don't have a matching key there is a 11/12 chance you will need to either take it to the GM dealership or do a VATS bypass. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks, Motopilot
Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Teching In

You just saved my ***, I have been needing to do this for monthes, then I found your thread.....WAY easier than I thought it would be.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boostwhipped24
You just saved my ***, I have been needing to do this for monthes, then I found your thread.....WAY easier than I thought it would be.
Cool Man!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

this was the video I watched when I was trying to figure out how to remove it.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Subscribing, old thread but going to be doing this soon.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm doing this too, finally after 15 years of that being my exact problem.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 298 Likes on 166 Posts

Need to do this soon too. Radio just started going out
Old 02-01-2019, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I know that this is an old thread and I had the same problem however mine turned out differently. I bought a used bcm connected everything and it was still doing the same issue. I checked my old bcm and new bcm and the solders looked fine. It wound up being a loose wire (blue with white stripe) in the black harness. My father popped out every wire and reconnected them until they clicked in and he noticed the blue wire with the white stripe was giving a hard time. He finally managed to get it to click into the harness and now the issue is completely gone. Just another option to look into.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
I know that this is an old thread and I had the same problem however mine turned out differently. I bought a used bcm connected everything and it was still doing the same issue. I checked my old bcm and new bcm and the solders looked fine. It wound up being a loose wire (blue with white stripe) in the black harness. My father popped out every wire and reconnected them until they clicked in and he noticed the blue wire with the white stripe was giving a hard time. He finally managed to get it to click into the harness and now the issue is completely gone. Just another option to look into.
I have this problem off & on. Thanks for the loose wire tips before I try to fix or replace 😎
Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by lvgoldie
I have this problem off & on. Thanks for the loose wire tips before I try to fix or replace 😎
Although it certainly is possible to have a loose wire, it is extremely unlikely in a vehicle where the BCM has been previously undisturbed. Both the BCM and the wire harness are fairly tightly mounted so there is no movement which could eventually cause a wire to work its way loose. Assuming you have the common RAP circuit cold solder problem (radio and windows cutting out), you should plan on doing the solder repair and then you can also check for loose wires when reinstalling the BCM.
The following users liked this post:
lvgoldie (04-11-2020)

Quick Reply: BCM Replacement W/Pics.