Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker distortion after swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I just swapped out my stock monsoon tape deck for a stock monsoon cd player. Swap went relatively easy and the cd player works fine but now all of my speakers rattle and sound distorted. Does anybody know what could be the cause and can it be fixed?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

The cd player was from a 1998 camaro and went into my 2000.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-20-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 07-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm concerned when you say the swap went "relatively easy". Did you make some modifications? That swap should be a simple 15-minute, completely plug-and-play installation.

Do you know the 98 CD player was working properly before you installed it (i.e. did you hear it or did it come out of a junk yard car)? Has the CD player been modified in any way such as adding an auxiliary input jack?

I'm asking these questions because those two head units (98 CD and 2000 tape) should be completely interchangeable and not make any difference at all to the sound output. There are some differences (especially if one is Camaro and the other is Firebird) but nothing that affects sound quality. For example, the 98 CD doesn't support the optional external CD changer but the 2000 tape does.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you whitebird for the reply. The swap was easy. Only trouble I had was getting the harness clips out and the antenna cable out. Anyway, after swapping my tape deck back in, i played with the settings and I think I found the problem. I think my front speakers were already blown. I never realized that my tape deck fade **** was turned all the way to the rear speakers. (Just got the car recently) I'm going to check the cd player today and swap it back in and play with the fade **** and see what happens. I'll update this as soon as I make the swap.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Swapped the cd player back in. Distortion ended up being just plain old bad speakers. Gonna swap in stockers from a buddy parting out his car.
Thanks again whitebird

Quick Reply: Speaker distortion after swap