Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding AUX port to factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding AUX port to factory radio

I have a 2002 Yukon Xl with a non bose system. Ive read this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/688297-how-you-can-add-aux-input-mp3-player-without-adapter-32.html

So I know I can do that mod with the CD player. But I would like to use the external tape player input instead. Does anyone know the wiring for the plug in the rear of the radio? I'm thinking if I dont care about the tape deck working anymore I should be able to just hook up the right and left audio and the ground?

Here's a pic of the deck in my truck.

Name:  IMG_20151228_070032_zpsoj4galjk.jpg
Views: 5828
Size:  224.7 KB
Old 12-28-2015, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, that won't work. If it did, others would have done it long ago and posted instructions. The problem is that the port is not active unless the external device is connected and communicating with the head unit. So you would need a blank tape running in the player for the HU to pay any attention to audio signals you spliced in to the connector.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, that won't work. If it did, others would have done it long ago and posted instructions. The problem is that the port is not active unless the external device is connected and communicating with the head unit. So you would need a blank tape running in the player for the HU to pay any attention to audio signals you spliced in to the connector.
Correct. I would leave the tape player hooked up but use the input for the AUX plug. What I meant is that I dont need to be able to still play tapes anymore. So do I need to hook up all 5 wires or can I just use 3?

Do you know the pin outputs for th\e auxiliary plug on the back of that Delco unit?
Old 12-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The external device must be active and communicating, not just connected. That means it must be playing a tape for the head unit to use any signal present on that port. Just having it connected and splicing in your own signal won't activate the port.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Teching In

The external device must be active and communicating, not just connected. That means it must be playing a tape for the head unit to use any signal present on that port. Just having it connected and splicing in your own signal won't activate the port.
Not sure were on the same page. I understand it must be active and playing. That's not a problem.

I assume people use the 5 wire plug to allow them to still use the internal CD player. So the extra 2 wires must be a pass thru for the CD player to play while your not using the AUX input. In my case I dont care if I ever play another tape. So do I still need the 5 wire plug? Cant I just use the left and right audio and ground (3 wire plug)?

So I would take the existing plug on the back of the HU. Grab the left and right audio and run them to the plug. Grab a ground for the plug and leave the rest hooked up to the tape player like it is stock.

If not then I must not understand what the other 2 wires are for?
Old 12-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, if I understand you correctly, you want to tap into the audio signal wires from the external tape player so that when you switch to AUX, instead of getting tape audio you will get your own patched-in audio signal from a phone, MP3 player or other audio device.

You can't do that. One of the wires between the head unit and the eternal tape player is a serial data connection that the head unit uses to communicate with the player. If there is no serial data signal saying that the external tape player is currently active playing a tape then the head unit will not use any signal on the audio channels in that connection regardless of the source of the signal.

With an external CD changer, people have worked around that limitation by recording a CD with nothing but silence so that the changer is actively playing a CD and they substitute their own signal by patching into the connector. I suppose you could just stick a blank tape into your external player to accomplish something similar but the sound quality would suck because you would have constant tape hiss in the background while playing your auxiliary input.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Okay, if I understand you correctly, you want to tap into the audio signal wires from the external tape player so that when you switch to AUX, instead of getting tape audio you will get your own patched-in audio signal from a phone, MP3 player or other audio device.
But isn't the CD AUX mod that I linked to above basically the same thing expect using the CD input not the tape input? Why would it work differently?

I could do it the same way as the link but why run the CD player all the time when I have a tape deck that I dont use and dont care if it craps out from running all the time. That's the only reason Im asking about this way.

If I had to I could use the same plug and 5 wires and then I would be able to use the tape deck or the AUX plug same as the CD mod. At least thats my thinking.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Teching In

You can't do that. One of the wires between the head unit and the eternal tape player is a serial data connection that the head unit uses to communicate with the player. If there is no serial data signal saying that the external tape player is currently active playing a tape then the head unit will not use any signal on the audio channels in that connection regardless of the source of the signal.
The everything on the tape deck would still be hooked up except the audio feeds going back to the HU. I assume the data handshake is in one of the other wires and not the audio lines? Maybe thats were im missing something.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It doesn't work differently - they have to have a blank CD playing in the external CD changer for it to work. Just as you would have to have a blank tape playing in your external tape player to do the same thing.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Teching In

This is from the link in the first post.

Pin 1 - Ground - connect to the stereo chassis
Pin 2 - Left Channel - wire from CD connector on main circuit board
Pin 3 - Left Channel - wire coming from CD player module
Pin 4 - Right Channel - wire coming from CD player module
Pin 5 - Right Channel - wire from CD connector on main circuit board

I would change this

Pin 1 - Ground - connect to the stereo chassis
Pin 2 - Left Channel - wire from TAPE connector on back plug of radio
Pin 5 - Right Channel - wire from TAPE connector on back plug of radio

Unless the data goes thru pins 3 and 4 I dont think Id need them? I believe they just pass thru the audio from the device that you pulled it from. I the case of the link above it was so people could still listen to their CD player. Seem like in that mod they also could get rid of pins 3 and 4 and it would still play the AUX but they would not have audio from the CD player. But the CD player would still spin and play. Just no sound back to the HU.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Teching In

It doesn't work differently - they have to have a blank CD playing in the external CD changer for it to work. Just as you would have to have a blank tape playing in your external tape player to do the same thing.
I get that.

My questions are about the wiring. Either your not sure what the wiring is or we cant get on the same page about what I'm looking for. I appreciate you trying to help through.

My understanding is once you fire up the AUX player it overrides the CD (or tape) that is playing. So it doesn't have to be a blank tape or cd. It just needs to play. Aside form the feedback problems some got from bad cables or grounds.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You're missing the point... the Novak mod (the one you linked above) involves splicing into the connections for the internal single disc CD player not the external device (CD changer or tape player). You can do the same thing since you have a single disc head unit. You can't connect through the external tape player connection.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I believe the reason the novak mod work is because the CD player is really an external device mounted inside the case. Same thing as an external tape or external CD? Pretty sure all should work.

I believe the tape input and the CD changer are the same input on the back of the radio. So it must work with the tape input if it works with the CD input
Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Teching In

I found more info. Here's the pin out for the 9 pin plug on the back of my radio.

Pin-out of 9-pin AUX connector:
1. Battery Out - Orange
2. E & C Data - Darker Green
3. Ground Out - Black
4. Audio Com In - Light Brown
5. Left In - Orange w/ black stripe
6. Right In - Lighter Green
7. Voice + in - Bare w/ clear tubing
8. Dimming Out - Gray
9. R14 Out - Blue

I can cut into 4, 5, and 6 and wire in this plug

Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack: Electronics Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack: Electronics

And it should work just like the novak mod.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Vindii
I believe the reason the novak mod work is because the CD player is really an external device mounted inside the case. Same thing as an external tape or external CD? Pretty sure all should work.

I believe the tape input and the CD changer are the same input on the back of the radio. So it must work with the tape input if it works with the CD input
Yes, they are the same input but no, nobody has ever been able to make it work with the CD changer either. The aftermarket input adapters designed to plug into that external port all have additional logic circuits designed to fool the head unit into seeing a CD changer or tape player running. You have no way of doing that.

Good luck. If you manage to make it work, you'll be the first.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Yes, they are the same input but no, nobody has ever been able to make it work with the CD changer either. The aftermarket input adapters designed to plug into that external port all have additional logic circuits designed to fool the head unit into seeing a CD changer or tape player running. You have no way of doing that.

Good luck. If you manage to make it work, you'll be the first.

I appreciate you trying to help but I dont think you understand. People have already used the inputs from the CD changer and the external tape deck. I really just wanted the wiring for the tape deck.

I will be leaving the tape player in and hooked up. So it will be able to play but it wont have the audio left and right wires hooked up. They will be hooked to the AUX plug.

It will work. Others have done it. Check here.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/ho...nymore.106394/

Post 600 in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l#post18355428

Quick Reply: Adding AUX port to factory radio