Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

7" Android Head Unit Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

sound better than the blaupunkt factory in the gto
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounded way better than my factory Monsoon stereo as well. Night and day difference
Old 06-17-2017, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I will be receiving their newer JOYING Android 6.0 7in today along with alarm and remote start, power window automation module, obdII scanner (already have hptuners also), and a rear driver sub box also. should be a fun and productive weekend. I will be coming from a completely factory system and 12 disc changer too.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnny6
From everything i'm reading these head units really lack in the sound quality department
I'm using mine with the stock amp and Keeaudio level 4 speakers. I think it sounds great, but a real audiophile might not be content.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by t_raven
I'm using mine with the stock amp and Keeaudio level 4 speakers. I think it sounds great, but a real audiophile might not be content.
Yep exactly, but that's pretty much with any stock system. I was running Infinity Reference in mine.

​​​​​​​Got my new one installed. Still need to do a little tweaking to it, will do it next weekend.

DoubleDmods said it couldn't be done and wouldn't even sell me the Metra console...or answer my actual questions or even reply back when I asked them yet again.... lost my business and respect.
Attached Thumbnails 7" Android Head Unit Review-img_20170617_202305.jpg  
Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SWC question.

If I am reading this right, all I need to do is cut the head off the 3.5mm jack coming out of the PAC module, connect the red and white wire to Key 1 and Key 2 (doesn't matter which), and go into the stereo and program the SWC's?

I have a Planet Audio double din installed in my Rainier and it has the Key 1 and 2 wires so I assume this would be the same for a Joying or the like? I have not been able to get the SWC to work but I think I can after reading this. I am going to install an Android head unit in my 2003 1500HD I just bought and want the SWC to work in it as well.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Discovered this the other day, figured I'd share.

If using PowerAmp, you can get it to automatically start playing when app opens and was in settings this whole time! I was using the app mentioned earlier in this thread, but this is way better and more consistent.

PowerAmp Settings > Audio > Audio Focus > Resume on Start.

You can download an app to automatically launch PowerAmp on boot as well which would be nice.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I think ima try one of these
Old 06-30-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the newest version, the Joying JY-UM135N2. Twice.

Both units have done the same thing. Upon initial plug in of the harness, and turning the ignition on, the unit would start to boot up but usually I would only get the keys to light up for about 20 seconds. I'd press the reset button and get only the lights on every time. I'd pull the harness off for a minute, plug it back in, and start the process over again. In 30 tries, I got the screen to come on 4 times. Only one time did it get all the way booted to the home screen. The other 3 times the screen went off after about 20 seconds. The one time it booted to the home screen it went off immediately after I touched an app button.

I've sent an e-mail to customer support and posted on their forum, nothing yet as to a fix. I'll wait a few more days and then I'll send the second unit back for a refund.

Anyone else have a problem like this? I really want an android unit, but, this is ridiculous.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by psychosid30
I ordered the newest version, the Joying JY-UM135N2. Twice.

Both units have done the same thing. Upon initial plug in of the harness, and turning the ignition on, the unit would start to boot up but usually I would only get the keys to light up for about 20 seconds. I'd press the reset button and get only the lights on every time. I'd pull the harness off for a minute, plug it back in, and start the process over again. In 30 tries, I got the screen to come on 4 times. Only one time did it get all the way booted to the home screen. The other 3 times the screen went off after about 20 seconds. The one time it booted to the home screen it went off immediately after I touched an app button.

I've sent an e-mail to customer support and posted on their forum, nothing yet as to a fix. I'll wait a few more days and then I'll send the second unit back for a refund.

Anyone else have a problem like this? I really want an android unit, but, this is ridiculous.
Holy crap, that sucks! I have the exact unit I ordered maybe 3 weeks ago and it's been doing great and no issues. Supposedly their customer service is great but now I'm wondering...

The only thing I don't like about this unit compared to the older one is it doesnt seem to like action launcher although admittingly I haven't really tried much to use it yet.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK, so now the unit works. I connected the accessory wire in with the illumination wire and everything works perfectly... never had to do that on any other install before.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by psychosid30
OK, so now the unit works. I connected the accessory wire in with the illumination wire and everything works perfectly... never had to do that on any other install before.
That is kind of odd there. I never have had to do that either. On the WS6 and the C5, I had connected the illumination wire to the factory illumination wire (orange i think).

One issue I'm attempting to sort out with mine is the remote wire. If deck isn't in the dash and sitting on the console my amp turns on and works indefinitely. When I put it in the dash, amp comes on for about a minute and then slowly powers off. I originally thought it was the amp since it's been sitting up for awhile, but jumpered the remote and power terminals on it and worked without issue. I've pulled and reinstalled it into the dash a few times and always same issue, just odd. The remote wire for this particular headunit is around 4.2v, my guess is the amp doesn't like that low of voltage and maybe it gradually goes down a little bit after start up and causes it to slowly fade off. Not a deal breaker for me, as I'll just tap into an ignition wire at the fuse box (I'll use same as my hardwired radar detector) and everything should work fine. Just figured I'd share my experience.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Subd. Just read the whole thread. Clean installs. I was getting worried though mainly T/A's and no iPhones later being used. I have a 98 z28 and have an iPhone. Modded the stock deck for aux input but now I want to be able to just Bluetooth phones calls , music mainly and just recently bought elm27 and dash command.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Ok guys, I have the previous version of the head unit this thread was started for. Anyone who has had both feel its worth the money to upgrade. Haven't really got to use mine much between moving and the new job.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ruken
Ok guys, I have the previous version of the head unit this thread was started for. Anyone who has had both feel its worth the money to upgrade. Haven't really got to use mine much between moving and the new job.
I've had both. Im not totally sure it's worth it, kind of depends on the person I guess. The new one is physically about the same, but is snappier and has several nice software upgrades and OS UI in Marshmallow is nicer. Worth another $300? Ehh, I'd lean on the side as of no unless want something new to play with. I definitely like my new one more than the old one, just not sure if I'd fork out the money if I didn't have to.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/132172385966

On another note my brother just ordered this for his C3. Had I come across this before I bought my new Joying unit, I definitely would have seriously considered it due to asthetics and specs. The only downside I could find with it was 16gb internal space.

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 08-18-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I've had both. Im not totally sure it's worth it, kind of depends on the person I guess. The new one is physically about the same, but is snappier and has several nice software upgrades and OS UI in Marshmallow is nicer. Worth another $300? Ehh, I'd lean on the side as of no unless want something new to play with. I definitely like my new one more than the old one, just not sure if I'd fork out the money if I didn't have to.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/132172385966

On another note my brother just ordered this for his C3. Had I come across this before I bought my new Joying unit, I definitely would have seriously considered it due to asthetics and specs. The only downside I could find with it was 16gb internal space.
Im about sick of the OEM unit in the Avalanche. I think what ill do, is when I get a little bit of debt paid down. Ill pull the old unit out of the TA throw it in the truck and pick up the newer version for the TA. Who knows, it might not be until around spring. Maybe they'll have the next version out by then.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

With the new versions, are they just updated software as in 4.4, 5.1, and now 6.0 etc? The look of the unit itself the same? Kind of hard to tell them all apart with the descriptions on the website and Amazon, and parts #s. Want get one ordered soon but thinking of going with Ken without the *****.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ruken
Im about sick of the OEM unit in the Avalanche. I think what ill do, is when I get a little bit of debt paid down. Ill pull the old unit out of the TA throw it in the truck and pick up the newer version for the TA. Who knows, it might not be until around spring. Maybe they'll have the next version out by then.
Now that sounds like a plan! By spring I'd expect at least to have Nougat. Possibly some hardware update too but honestly I'm content with even my old Joying hardware. For me, it's not like you switch apps often enough to matter. I just installed a new launcher that I'm digging and my favorite so far
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=altergames.carlauncher
Old 08-24-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Go my unit ordered from Amazon. Will start with install on Saturday. Any things prevail I need to do with the wiring harness? Just connect same color wires together? No steering wheel controls for me since I have a 98. No cameras at this time also. Thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
Go my unit ordered from Amazon. Will start with install on Saturday. Any things prevail I need to do with the wiring harness? Just connect same color wires together? No steering wheel controls for me since I have a 98. No cameras at this time also. Thanks
As far as the harness, the Metra one basically matches up with the Android one. Both have color codes on instructions so just verify them to make sure. Should be a super simple install, don't forget about the antenna adapter if you don't already have one.

Quick Reply: 7" Android Head Unit Review