Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Odo flickers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Odo flickers

So this has been an issue since I bought my Z almost two years ago. For some reason or another the odometer wigs out and flickers like crazy. SOmetimes it displays all 8's, othertimes it's completely blank. Tapping on the gauge plastic helps straighten it out.

I pulled the cluster and was inspecting the back of it, I can't find any solder joints that might be broken. is the odo itself removable? I wonder if it's not seated firmly. Anyone ever experience this and/or fix it?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2016, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The LCD screen is likely wearing out. They begin to get a little erratic when doing so. The LCD module is removable, it just unplugs from the main circuit board. If you find another cluster with a good ODO, you can swap the modules out. Given you have an 2002, the mileage is stored on a separate circuit board so your mileage will still display correctly with a different module.

IF you've never had the gauge cluster apart, swapping the odo would be quite easy. Once you remove the outer lens that's held on with tabs, you take a small flat screwdriver and gently pry up the Plexiglas lens the gauge face is mounted to. It will lift out as an assembly, needles and all. The electric air cores that drive the needles remain attached to the Plexiglas piece so you will not have to remove needles or re calibrate anything. That Plexiglas piece I keep referring to retains the odo. So, once that's out, the odo will lift right out. Unplug the connector, the install the new one.

Lastly the odo can come out of any 99-02 cluster. You cannot use the 97-98 odo, even though the screen looks identical, it is a entirely different design.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

To reattach the plexiglass lens do I just use superglue or something?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
To reattach the plexiglass lens do I just use superglue or something?
No. Youll see when you remove it. The air cores for the needles have metal pins, 3 to 4 for each core, that push into their respective sockets on the circuit board. That is what retains the whole assembly to the instrument cluster housing.

Quick Reply: Odo flickers