Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alarm issue

Old 03-16-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alarm issue

My car just started honking the horn two full times as if the alarm was triggered about 3 seconds following the two short beeps after the alarm is set.

Played with the setting on the alarm sensor in the trunk and the checked the plug and the hatch to not avail.

I also checked and I am in the correct alarm mode setting for what I desire.

Strangely my second remote I no longer works either.

The car has sat for about two weeks not being driven and I just had a guy in the hatch because he is tinting it.

Here is the twist….It started by double honking at 5 second intervals all of the sudden and only stopped double honking once I set the alarm with the fob. Then it went into the mode described above.

Any ideas?

New Update…
the alarm went off for no reason.
I reprogrammed both remotes and they both work.
I turned adjustment **** a tad counter clockwise.
I locked the car and horn only chirped once instead of twice.
Sitting and waiting to see what happens.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check and make sure the trunk sensor is connected. The delayed beeps (honks) tell you there is an error or damaged switch.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Trunk sensor connected.
Passenger door was not closed right, reason for single chirp alarm set.

Sensor got wet. Working fine now
Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Bad news.
Full double horn honk after two short beeps when alarm is set has returned. I disconnected the sensor and the problem has stopped.

What exactly is that sensor for? Obviously it needs replacing due to getting wet
Old 03-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Is this the sensor on top of the rear wheel? Small **** on top?

If so, it is the factory shock sensor, supposed to trigger the alarm if the car is impacted hard enough. You can replace that sensor from any of the aftermarket sensors. I would find a DEI(Directed Electronics) dealer in your area, and have them wire in a replacement. Look for Viper, Clifford, Python, Avital. They are all basically the same brand...
Old 03-17-2016, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
Is this the sensor on top of the rear wheel? Small **** on top?

If so, it is the factory shock sensor, supposed to trigger the alarm if the car is impacted hard enough. You can replace that sensor from any of the aftermarket sensors. I would find a DEI dealer in your area, and have them wire in a replacement. Look for Viper, Clifford, Python, Avital. They are all basically the same brand...
Thats the sensor I am talking about. If I unplug it, then the car doesn't do the full double honk.

Sorry DEI dealer?
Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Most shops that deal with auto security and remote start systems will sell DEI products, that's just what I am used to. The sensors are fairly universal, shouldn't be any problem connecting them to the existing wires. I would make sure to take an installer out to your car, and show him the sensor and wiring.

If you don't care about your alarm going off if someone hits the car, then you can just leave it unplugged. Wouldn't cause any harm, and alarm would still go off if someone got the door open, or tried hotwiring.

Then again, finding a factory shock sensor, or impact sensor (the usual names for the sensor) might be easy. If so, you would just unplug, and replace. Kind of up to you.

Check eBay or Amazon for the factory sensor. If it's cheap enough new, just order it up.

Edit* Found a couple on eBay. Seem to be going for about $50. Might be worth your time to just order a factory replacement. Sorry, sometimes I get a little too involved with upgrading. Here's a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-15154...BV3gqe&vxp=mtr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alarm issue