Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

where to buy: Pot for volume on monsoon radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where to buy: Pot for volume on monsoon radio?

i have 4 ls cars and 3 of them need new pots for the volume. I found a part number on the one i just took apart, 9844 MAL, but have had no luck finding anything.
tia
Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You try cleaning it? Some CRC contact cleaner does wonders.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Teching In

i didnt, i figured it was worn internally to the point needing to be replaced. i have some crc so i will give it a shot but I really don't see how it will be effective.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:42 AM
Teching In

whitebird00 ?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I agree with M4N14C... electronics cleaner usually does wonders with the volume control. More often than not it is years of grime build up rather than physical wear that causes such symptoms as volume changing on its own, non-responsiveness, gaps in the volume control range, etc.

I have not researched replacement pots but I can try to see if any are available commercially. Certainly there are companies that repair and recondition Delco head units but I don't know if they sell parts at retail.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Teching In

I didn't expect that to be the case so thanks to both of you. I would still like to have replacement info if you can find it in case the problem isn't resolved. i am waiting on bulbs to arrive to reassemble the one on the bench, i'll update at that point.

I have since found that there is another set of numbers on the pot, 16208722 if its of any assistance.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I agree with M4N14C... electronics cleaner usually does wonders with the volume control. More often than not it is years of grime build up rather than physical wear that causes such symptoms as volume changing on its own, non-responsiveness, gaps in the volume control range, etc.

I have not researched replacement pots but I can try to see if any are available commercially. Certainly there are companies that repair and recondition Delco head units but I don't know if they sell parts at retail.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If its just static and cracking noises when turning the lnob, try turning the unit off and turning know up and down over and over.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Teching In

my issue on the 2 i have is that it is not linear turning up or down anymore, skips to high volume levels mostly. if i put some perpendicular pressure on it i can usually get it to function but that's annoying. the unit looks fairly tight and i don't have tools small enough to attempt disassembly.
they both needed lights for the readout. they have arrived and assembly should be done as soon as i get the aux port pieces in.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stormy69
my issue on the 2 i have is that it is not linear turning up or down anymore, skips to high volume levels mostly. if i put some perpendicular pressure on it i can usually get it to function but that's annoying. the unit looks fairly tight and i don't have tools small enough to attempt disassembly.
they both needed lights for the readout. they have arrived and assembly should be done as soon as i get the aux port pieces in.
Gotcha. I may need to look into replacing some bulbs, I have a few that are out. Here I was thinking I needed a new head unit. I hope the display swap goes well for you.

Quick Reply: where to buy: Pot for volume on monsoon radio?