Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Passenger taillight

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger taillight

OK my passenger tail light is not working properly I have a blinker and my brake light lights up when I press my brakes but does not come on when lights are on and I have no back up light. All the bulbs are good and fuses the drivers side works fine
Old 07-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

For the tail lights, use a multimeter or test light to check for power on the brown wire on the right side. If you have power then the problem is either the lamp sockets or the bulbs. The bulbs have separate filaments for brake/turn signal and for running lights so having working brake lights doesn't mean the bulbs aren't burned out. If you don't have power then you have a break in the brown wire someplace between the tail light and the splice pack which is close to the grommet where the wires go into the body.

The source of the backup light problem depends on whether both are out or only one. If just one, it is almost certainly the bulb or the socket. If both then it could be the backup light switch (manual transmission) or the neutral safety switch (automatic).
Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled all of the bulbs and put them back in and they worked and one brake light socket did not look good on the inside so I replaced it and everything is working now thanks

Quick Reply: Passenger taillight