Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Run new speaker wire or tap into existing? (Come in WhiteBird)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Run new speaker wire or tap into existing? (Come in WhiteBird)

I will be installing a 5 channel amp into my 2002 Ford Escape, and was wondering if there would be a noticeable difference if I tapped into the existing speaker wires behind the head unit, or I ran new wires to each speaker. The reason I ask, is because from what I've researched so far, the door jams have a "molex" and it's a pain in the *** to open them up and run new speaker wire. I've also seen people drill new holes thru the door jam, and I would like to avoid that route as well. So basically what I would like to know is, will I lose any power/sound quality by running speaker wires from the amp to the back of the head unit and tapping in there? I am attaching links to the Kenwood amp, and to the Focal 5x7's that will be installed in the front door. (Cheap Pioneers in the back seat) Thanks in advance.

Charlie

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC7...AC-7005PS.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091570A...s_570&skipvs=T
Old 07-27-2016, 07:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Assuming you will be cutting (or otherwise disconnecting) the speaker wires from the factory head unit, it will really depend on the size of the wire and the amount of power you plan to use. 18 gauge wire is acceptable (but not ideal) up to about 100 watts per channel at 15 feet. If you have the smaller 22 gauge wire that OEMs often use for speaker wire then I would not recommend using them because the power drop and frequency range compression becomes audible at 15 feet with as little as 50 watts per channel.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Assuming you will be cutting (or otherwise disconnecting) the speaker wires from the factory head unit, it will really depend on the size of the wire and the amount of power you plan to use. 18 gauge wire is acceptable (but not ideal) up to about 100 watts per channel at 15 feet. If you have the smaller 22 gauge wire that OEMs often use for speaker wire then I would not recommend using them because the power drop and frequency range compression becomes audible at 15 feet with as little as 50 watts per channel.
Thank you for the reply and useful info. Do you have any experience running new wire thru the vehicles molex in the door jam? I've run new speaker wire to every speaker in my Trans Am, but it was easy considering there's only a rubber grommet in the door jam, not a plastic piece with all of the wires and pins.

Quick Reply: Run new speaker wire or tap into existing? (Come in WhiteBird)