Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Footwell LED Lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Footwell LED Lighting?

Hi,
I would like to add a LED light under the dash that will light up the footwells when either door opens. Can someone tell me if there is a wire under the dash I can tap into to do this?

Thanks,
John
Old 08-09-2016, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnR
Hi,
I would like to add a LED light under the dash that will light up the footwells when either door opens. Can someone tell me if there is a wire under the dash I can tap into to do this?

Thanks,
John
Autozone has a flexible led strip that fits perfect under the dash. PM me your email address for a picture.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you want the lights to work the same as the factory courtesy lights, you have to connect both the power and ground to the correct wires. The factory system controls the lights by varying the available ground rather than the power but the power is also controlled by a "battery saver" circuit that prevents the lights from staying on if a door is left open. You'll also need dimmable LEDs for them to work with the "theater dimming" process when they turn off.

There is no convenient location under the dash to get those wires. The closest location is at the BCM - which is under the dash but certainly not convenient. The wires you want are dark blue with white in position E of the black 6-pin connector for power and white in position D1 of the blue 32-pin connector for ground. Your connections must be in parallel not series (i.e. don't cut the wires, tap into them with something like a ScotchLock connector).
Old 08-10-2016, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no convenient location under the dash to get those wires. The closest location is at the BCM - which is under the dash but certainly not convenient. The wires you want are dark blue with white in position E of the black 6-pin connector for power and white in position D1 of the blue 32-pin connector for ground. Your connections must be in parallel not series (i.e. don't cut the wires, tap into them with something like a ScotchLock connector).
Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.

Autozone has a flexible led strip that fits perfect under the dash.
I'll go there first and see what they have.

Thanks All,
John
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

LED Strips at AutoZone and PepBoys are overpriced. Look on Amazon (and ebay) for less than half the price. I've bought some on Amazon to add trunk lighting to my Formula and Mustang. If you have Prime (I do) you can get it in 2 days too (if yo buy from vendor that uses Amazon Fulfillment).
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
LED Strips at AutoZone and PepBoys are overpriced. Look on Amazon (and ebay) for less than half the price. I've bought some on Amazon to add trunk lighting to my Formula and Mustang. If you have Prime (I do) you can get it in 2 days too (if yo buy from vendor that uses Amazon Fulfillment).
I visited my local Autozone store and saw a lot of high priced LED lights. Lots of choices, and many that came with an adaptor to plug into the lighter socket.
I have Amazon Prime. Can you please tell, or show, me what you bought for your Formula trunk lighting and where you tapped into the lighting circuit?

Thanks,
John
Old 08-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I bought these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought 2 sets (for Firebird & Mustang and some left over)

There are some with more LEDs on them for better spacing and more even output and are also brighter, but these were sufficient for me.

(4) 1ft strips for $6 delivered (I have Prime). I used (2) 1ft strips in my Firebird trunk. I tapped into the rear dome light and routed the wires into the hatch to mount the LED strips (2 x 1ft) on the hatch panel aimed down to light the trunk area. I used 3M Molding/Trim tape to mount the strips.

Here is my install:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...round-2-a.html

I replaced the dome light with LED as well to reduce the power draw so the combined power draw would not exceed the original bulb (most likely still less than the original bulb).

I bought another set of those for my Mustang as well mounted in the trunk with the wires tapped into the existing small trunk light.

This isn't my pic of my Mustang, but it is similar:
(The strip in the pic has more LEDs tighter spaced and the strip is mounted slightly more forward than mine.)

I used 3M Molding/Trim tape (and and maybe zip ties, I don't remember).

I replaced the original trunk bulb with LED as well to reduce power consumption as well.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-13-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

If you want the lights to work the same as the factory courtesy lights, you have to connect both the power and ground to the correct wires. The factory system controls the lights by varying the available ground rather than the power but the power is also controlled by a "battery saver" circuit that prevents the lights from staying on if a door is left open. You'll also need dimmable LEDs for them to work with the "theater dimming" process when they turn off.

The LED strips I got from autozone worked perfect with the theater dimming!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnR
I visited my local Autozone store and saw a lot of high priced LED lights. Lots of choices, and many that came with an adaptor to plug into the lighter socket.
I have Amazon Prime. Can you please tell, or show, me what you bought for your Formula trunk lighting and where you tapped into the lighting circuit?

Thanks,
John
I paid under $10 each for the LED strips that fit perfect under the dash with no cutting. I installed a switch so just the dome light comes on, just red LEDs come on or both. Pictures don't do the lights justice as my camera sucks.
Attached Thumbnails Footwell LED Lighting?-dscn3307.jpg  

Last edited by JOHNNY59; 08-13-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it more convenient to attempt to access the wiring for the map lights at the A-pillars? Or because of location it'd kinda end up being the same thing?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

I access the wiring for the map lights at the A-pillar, much easier!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Accessing the wiring at the BCM is not that challenging... just that it can be awkward to reach because of its location behind the glove box. Still, it has the advantage of being under the dash closer to where you would be mounting your lights.

Using the wiring in the A pillar is easier to reach but farther from where the lights will go thus requiring a little more fishing of wire. Either location will work and it's really just a matter of personal preference.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha! I was hoping that it'd be more convenient to access, though figured it'd be as you said, less convenient by being away from where you are wiring and thus require more wiring. Maybe one day I'll get around to doing this as I wanted to back when I first got the car lol.

Quick Reply: Footwell LED Lighting?