Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Thinking of designing a CarPC for my 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Thinking of designing a CarPC for my 4th Gen

Currently I have an Android Head Unit in the car and it does its job fairly nicely aside that its a little bit on the slower end. At one time I thought I would never want more but after researching more, I found other Head Units that would best my setup. Then the thought of a Windows 10 Head Unit came through my mind. They're currently offered through e3io... The minor problem with the unit is that I don't think it would be fun to operate a Windows PC on a 7" screen. Plus I'm turned off by the limited graphics card they offer. I want to do some gaming while I'm parked.

What if, I fabbed the center Bezel to support an 8" Capacitive Touch Screen and built a CarPC separately, either mounting it behind the screen or in the hatch area. Then afterward, implement Bluetooth and also OBDII scan port functions for onboard diagnostics at all times. I would use a 12V power supply but also attempt to use an onboard PC battery to keep to machine running without draining the car battery even while the car is off. This would keep the machine from experiencing a Hard Shutdown and could also go instantly into sleep or hibernation mode depending on the setting you choose when the car is powered down. The battery would charge while the vehicle is running. For the display, I would also like to add the ability to implement multiple inputs, or dual boot between Android and Windows on the PC. Multiple inputs is preferred though. I would have to implement some sort of a switch to reboot or power down the machine since it wont be readily accessible. The other part is for the android hardware, I could either implement an Android box and switch the LCD inputs and use a touch screen overlay for the Android. The fun part will be wiring everything up so that both systems will be able to transmit Audio through the speakers depending on which system is in use.

Im just DEAD curious and nothing here is confirmed..If I succeeded in making a kit for something like this, would anyone be interested in it, even if I offered it in multiple packages from just a single PC to multiple input units?

I'm also going to design something similar for our G37 but using the stock screen.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The m4-atx power suppy is what you want. It will time the shutdown for you and do it the right way. I could be wrong but windows 10 has Google play and will configure itself for touch screen. For connecting audio 3.5mm jacks to rca plugs then to an amp will get you great tunable sound.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torrent85
The m4-atx power suppy is what you want. It will time the shutdown for you and do it the right way. I could be wrong but windows 10 has Google play and will configure itself for touch screen. For connecting audio 3.5mm jacks to rca plugs then to an amp will get you great tunable sound.
So I decided what I want to build.

I want a Windows 10 PC with an intel 5 CPU, 8 GB RAM and a Mini PCIE (Low Profile) Graphics Card with 2GB Onboard Video Ram (for gaming.) and finally an 8" LCD touch screen.

I will use AMIDuOS for Android Apps, that or run Android on a Virtual Machine so I can toggle between the two at will.

Will the m4-atx give me enough power for the above setup? Also, lets say I want to use the unit while the vehicle is off without using the vehicle's battery but instead a dedicated battery for the system (and I don't mean a car battery but more like a laptop battery that only recharges when the vehicle is operating) Will this be possible?

Lastly, for universal applications in general, what I would like to do is design a clean installation for a removable 8" LCD on a Metra Bezel. So by removable, it means it won't be glued to the piece. The Bezel would be modified to fit the larger screen and the screen would sit much further forward than stock so it will be easier to touch, reach. The LCD will be encased in a thin bezel and mounted to the Radio Bezel with a back plate so it cannot fall back or out the bezel. I would 3D Print the Bezel as to make it unnecessary for other users to modify their own Radio Bezels as they would have access to a Bezel capable of supporting 8" LCD's.

The CarPC would be a separate box of which mounts like a double din HU, only without the screen, inside the car attached to the radio mounting brackets. The case would be able to support either an ODroid System for those wanting to keep Android, or a ITX board for Windows 10 with provisionings for an onboard low profile graphics card if users wanted to go that far. The case would also incase the PSU, bluetooth device, provision for a USB Hub with an opening for USB cables, a fan, and all input / output ports.

Lastly, alot of research will be done to keep all offered parts bi-compatible between Windows and Android.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Teching In

The m4-atx is a 255w power supply it will handle that easily. I would go with a smaller cpu though. I have no clue where you live but heat is the biggest problem in car applications. I run a i3 3.6ghz cpu with 8gigs of ram and its overkill, but it's stable. In the two years that i have been running the setup it has crashed only once and it has never been out of the car. Now on hot days where the inside temps are above 120 degrees the computer will not turn on till the ac cools the car down, but the computer is in the very back.

Also I would scrap the graphics card and go for a motherboard with good on board graphics. One you will never have to max any settings because of the 8" screen think playing a xbox one on an analog tv. Two the pci-e slot can be used more effectively.

Data storage plays a big roll in having a stable car computer. A ssd harddrive is a must. A mini pci-e ssd is even better. A normal hhd will shatter while driving around. Also boot times will be down in the 10 to 15 sec range if not faster.

As far as separate battery a lipo car jumping battery could be used and charged though a car port.

​Mounting the screen is completely up to you. Just remember the hdmi is very thick.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torrent85
The m4-atx is a 255w power supply it will handle that easily. I would go with a smaller cpu though. I have no clue where you live but heat is the biggest problem in car applications. I run a i3 3.6ghz cpu with 8gigs of ram and its overkill, but it's stable. In the two years that i have been running the setup it has crashed only once and it has never been out of the car. Now on hot days where the inside temps are above 120 degrees the computer will not turn on till the ac cools the car down, but the computer is in the very back.

Also I would scrap the graphics card and go for a motherboard with good on board graphics. One you will never have to max any settings because of the 8" screen think playing a xbox one on an analog tv. Two the pci-e slot can be used more effectively.

Data storage plays a big roll in having a stable car computer. A ssd harddrive is a must. A mini pci-e ssd is even better. A normal hhd will shatter while driving around. Also boot times will be down in the 10 to 15 sec range if not faster.

As far as separate battery a lipo car jumping battery could be used and charged though a car port.

​Mounting the screen is completely up to you. Just remember the hdmi is very thick.
Where can I find a Motherboard in a mini-form factor with a good graphics card?
Is liquid cooling an option for a system that small?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Teching In

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

That motherboard with 8 gigs of ddr4 and a good core i3 will play many pc games and beast android games. The sound cards in gigabyte motherboards are great too. I am running one.

Watercooling is out unless you can meet the power requirements with the powersupply. I would just through a good size heatsink and fan and go. I run the stock intel cooler and only on the hottest days do I run into delayed booting and never had it overheat after. However I am willing to bet there is a way to kick the fans on before the system turns on to cool everything. I just haven't even looked that far in the powersupply bios.

Quick Reply: Thinking of designing a CarPC for my 4th Gen