Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speakers and head unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers and head unit

My car came with the Monsoon 8 speaker system (Convertible). When I bought my trans am the radio was replaced with Joying 5.1. Is this a good unit? Or should I replace it back with the Monsoon HU. Also where can you get replacement Speaker packages. I have tried Kee Audio but no replies to email or phone so he must be out of business. Thanks

Last edited by 70gteeo; 11-29-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Kee Audio is not out of business but it is a side business for him so sometimes response time can be slow. You can order from his website www.keeaudio.com.

You will find a lengthy discussion of Android head units (specifically Joying) in a thread just a couple below yours: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...it-review.html
Old 11-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Perhaps your right about kee audio but he has not replied on ls1 in over 2 years. I called and emailed about 10 days ago with no reply. So I have a convertible and looking to get what works in the sail panel. I have the monsoon system with 8 speakers I can only find 6 where are the other two? On Kee web site it has two options for the rear panel one is 2.5" deep and the other 1.5" deep. What is the best and will work for my trans am. I will also be replacing the front speakers. Thanks
Old 11-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Not replying on LS1 is not any indication... I haven't been on there in years myself. The best information is over here anyway.

However, I just found out that Kee has stopped sponsoring this forum, probably because there just isn't enough business coming from 15+ year old f-bodies anymore. It looks like our other sponsor in this section, Double D Mods, has also left. So we don't really have anyone left to recommend. Still, the products they sold are still available from other suppliers and the cars haven't changed.

To start with, you don't have sail panels in a convertible - that's the panel that goes from the belt line up into the roof, otherwise known as a C pillar on sedans. Convertibles have mids and tweeters in the doors along with woofers and tweeters in the quarter panels. The quarter panel speakers have the tweeters mounted coaxially (the tweeter is mounted in the middle of the woofer) so they look like cheaper coaxial speakers but are actually components. Each of the component elements run off separate channels from the Monsoon 8-channel amp. (BTW, all of this information is detailed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.)

The 2.5" deep CDT speakers require spacers to mount in the quarter panels so as not to interfere with the top mechanism. The 1.5" slim speakers produce more bass and don't require spacers so they are a better choice if you like more bass. Both are available on Amazon if you don't want to deal with Kee.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know what the spacers do? Does Ian still talk with customers on the phone # on his website?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The spacers go on the outside of the mounting surface and then the speaker gets mounted to it so that it sticks out from the panel more which means it doesn't go as deeply into the opening. So if you have a 2.5" deep speaker but the car has only 2" mounting depth, you add a 1/2" spacer to move the entire speaker outward by 1/2" when installed and reduce how far it goes into the hole to 2".

I can't say whether Ian is still taking calls... I haven't spoken to him in quite a while. You should just call and see.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information on how the spacer works. I look forward to adding in new speakers this winter. You have been of great help.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Teching In

I remove the door panels and the bass blocker/filter for the factory Monsoon system on the tweeters are missing. I will be installing the speaker system I order from Kee Audio. The monsoon tweeters were replaced by the previous owner and did not reinstall bass blocker/filter. What should I do or need from this point? Thanks, 70gteeo
Old 12-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There are no inline filters in a convertible like there are in a coupe. The coupe needs them because the tweeters are run off the head unit but a convertible powers all speaker elements from the 8-channel Monsoon amp and the filtering is done by the amp.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I emailed Ian here are his and mine replies:

1. Hi Ian,
I remove the door panels and the bass blocker/filter for the factory Monsoon system on the tweeters are missing. These (Tweeters) were replaced by the previous owner and did not reinstall bass blocker. What should I do from this point? Thanks, Steve

2. No problem. Use the CDT filter. Go from the tweeter output, to the input on the CDT filter, and then out of the CDT filter to the tweeter. -Ian

3.Hey Ian,
Do I use this on my convertible? or this only for the coupe?

4.Your using it because you don't have a filter. Coupe or convertible doesn't matter. You don't have the filter, the speakers come with a filter. Problem solved.
Thanks, -Ian
Old 12-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Unfortunately, Ian is wrong in this case. Both f-body convertible models have an 8-channel configuration that is very similar to the Camaro coupe configuration with all speakers powered by the amp and all filtering also done by the amp. Firebird coupes are the only f-body Monsoon system that has tweeters powered by the head unit rather than the amp and therefore requiring inline filters.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your insight before I start mounting my speakers. You have been a great help in saving me time on the install. I emailed Ian 3 times and called 2 time with no response. Not until I bought the speakers and I asked for a tracking number that I got a reply. You ended up answering my questions I had for Ian. Keep up the great help you have been to me and others here on this web site. Steve
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Nevermind... just noticed that you already bought speakers.

Good info in this thread though.

Quick Reply: Speakers and head unit