Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LEDs what makes them good ones? Best brands

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs what makes them good ones? Best brands

Looking to change my 2001 trans am lights over to LEDs and want good bright ones that will last.
Planning on just doing the outside lights all around minus the headlights.

Also for the DRL anyone use the switchback type?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Diode Dynamics for all my LED's on my Camaro, my Pontiac Grand Prix, my dad's 2015 Impala and my brothers Pontiac Grand Prix. They work great for me and they also offer a 3 year warranty on all their lights. So if they go out within that time frame they will replace it for free.

I swapped out the dash lights on my Grand Prix to LED's. I originally swapped them to some cheap LED's I picked up on ebay. After 3 months, one by one they started to go out. I switched over to Diode Dynamics and almost 2 years later they are all still working.

They cost more but they are great products and great quality LED's. The best time to order from them is during labor day or black friday/cyber monday when they offer a 20% off discount.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Diode Dynamics and V-LEDs along with a couple of others are generally considered top of the line. I have used LEDs from both and they are quality products although somewhat expensive. I have used literally hundreds of LED replacement bulbs in dozens of vehicles so the cost can add up very quickly. Also, I'm quite hard on them as I use them as strobes for safety patrol supporting charity bicycle rides. I found JDM ASTAR bulbs on Amazon over a year ago and have been very impressed with their brightness and quality for a more reasonable price. I use their 5730 chipset 3157 bulbs as DRLs (and strobes) in a couple of vehicles and they are much brighter than stock incandescent bulbs, come with a 2-year warranty, and have recently come down in price to only $18 per pair.

I don't think you'll get what you want out of switchbacks... most who try them want white for DRL and amber for turn signal. Unfortunately, f-bodies use the same circuit for DRL and T/S, so they end up white for parking lights (headlights on) and amber for all other functions (DRLs and turn signals).
Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue2001TA
Looking to change my 2001 trans am lights over to LEDs and want good bright ones that will last.
Planning on just doing the outside lights all around minus the headlights.

Also for the DRL anyone use the switchback type?

Thanks!
Good rule of thumb is.. you get what you pay for. Look for LED bulbs with internal regulators and big aluminum heatsinks. Cree or Samsung led chips are very high quality. I think the regulator is the biggest selling point, because that's what keeps the LED alive.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I have had issues with 1 set of JDM 3157 ambers out of 10-12 different sets I have purchased...they replaced them for free. Pretty decent bulb at a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: LEDs what makes them good ones? Best brands