Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alarm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Problem

2000 Ws6 with a factory alarm problem. What i am going to list are all symptoms related to the issue. The car currently has the factory alarm and an aftermarket VIPER alarm. I took the car to the viper dealer and assured me the viper alarm isn't the problem.

When getting out of car, i close the door and the factory alarm ENABLES on its own. When i open the driver side door after about 5 seconds the alarm starts going off.

While driving or parked, the locks go off randomly and the UNLOCK function wont UNLOCK the doors, only the LOCK function works.

Key fob doesnt work and the car wont go into programming mode, thus i cant program a new fob to disable or enable alarm. I can only disable the factory alarm when i insert the key and turn to the on position.

I've done searches and nobody seems to have my symptoms, please help guys..
Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

An easy way to tell if the Viper alarm is messing with the system is to have whoever installed your system disconnect it for a week or two and see what the car does then.

WHat happens when you try to go into programming mode? Do your door chimes work?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It could be a poor installation of viper unit, but start small.

What you described sounds a lot like what a lot of fbodies do when the shock sensor that's usually hanging in a loom of wire by the spare tire area. This sensor gets moisture built in it and it does odd things like you mentioned.

Try unplugging it and see if your problem gets solved.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BEAST_WS6M6
2000 Ws6 with a factory alarm problem. What i am going to list are all symptoms related to the issue. The car currently has the factory alarm and an aftermarket VIPER alarm. I took the car to the viper dealer and assured me the viper alarm isn't the problem.

When getting out of car, i close the door and the factory alarm ENABLES on its own. When i open the driver side door after about 5 seconds the alarm starts going off.

While driving or parked, the locks go off randomly and the UNLOCK function wont UNLOCK the doors, only the LOCK function works.

Key fob doesnt work and the car wont go into programming mode, thus i cant program a new fob to disable or enable alarm. I can only disable the factory alarm when i insert the key and turn to the on position.

I've done searches and nobody seems to have my symptoms, please help guys..
I am having the exact same issue. Have you found any solution..? I was thinking about going to a dealer an seeing if they could program the alarm out of the bcm..
Old 02-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, they can't, the alarm system is hard wired in the BCM. You can program the alarm system to be off (never activate) but you can't remove it. And programming it off can be done in your driveway - there's no need to go to the dealer. Instructions are in your owner's manual and posted here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ml#post2965615
Old 02-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, they can't, the alarm system is hard wired in the BCM. You can program the alarm system to be off (never activate) but you can't remove it. And programming it off can be done in your driveway - there's no need to go to the dealer. Instructions are in your owner's manual and posted here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ml#post2965615
that's good info except I can't get the alam to disarm. Been going off for 3 days I I've been jumping the started to get it to start and pulled the horn fuse any ideas on how to disarm the alam with no fab. vats has been tuned out and my key dosent have a pellet so the ignition switch won't disarm the alarm
Old 02-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, first of all, VATS cannot be "tuned out". The BCM (which contains the VATS circuit) is not programmable. You can bypass VATS by physically wiring the appropriate resistor into the sensor wires and you can program the PCM to ignore the missing fuel enable signal from the BCM when VATS is active but you can't program out the rest of the VATS tricks like disabling the starter relay. So, unless you've installed a resistor, it's likely that VATS is what's causing your alarm to trigger.

That's also what is likely preventing you from getting into program mode. You don't need a key fob to program the alarm off as detailed above but you do need to have the BCM recognize that a valid key is in the ignition or it won't respond.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:15 PM

Okay, first of all, VATS cannot be "tuned out". The BCM (which contains the VATS circuit) is not programmable. You can bypass VATS by physically wiring the appropriate resistor into the sensor wires and you can program the PCM to ignore the missing fuel enable signal from the BCM when VATS is active but you can't program out the rest of the VATS tricks like disabling the starter relay. So, unless you've installed a resistor, it's likely that VATS is what's causing your alarm to trigger.

That's also what is likely preventing you from getting into program mode. You don't need a key fob to program the alarm off as detailed above but you do need to have the BCM recognize that a valid key is in the ignition or it won't respond.
Yes correct. My ecu is ignoring the signal which has worked fine uo untill now.
so I'll just hard wire a resistor(code 8 which is 2370 ohm if my research is right) in and then that should allow it to recognize the key and then I should be able to get into program mode. Well I'll give it a shot. Thanks you.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Or you could buy a replacement ignition key with that resistor. Hopefully the solution is that easy. Please post back your results.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Or you could buy a replacement ignition key with that resistor. Hopefully the solution is that easy. Please post back your results.
its been quite a while now and my problems persist, my symptoms are something that cant be found in a search, its frustrating. the car wont go into programming mode whatsoever and the alarm self enables every time the doors close. the viper alarm enables but does NOT lock the doors but does unlock the doors. The switch on the doors only UNLOCKS but does NOT lock the doors. my OEM fob is falling apart and is weak for signal now. i wonder if the viper is interfering with the OEM alarm, should i just remove the viper alarm completely and work around the OEM alarm?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

While it is possible for the Viper alarm to interfere with the factory alarm, your symptoms don't point to that being the problem. The issues with the door locks in addition to the alarm would seem to point to the BCM being faulty. When Viper alarms are installed, they generally aren't wired to lock/unlock the doors directly but rather use a trigger signal to simulate the inside lock switches telling the BCM to work the locks. And assuming that VATS isn't the problem (SECURITY light on or flashing) then the fact that you can't get into programming mode also points to the BCM. Replacing your BCM may be your only alternative at this point.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

While it is possible for the Viper alarm to interfere with the factory alarm, your symptoms don't point to that being the problem. The issues with the door locks in addition to the alarm would seem to point to the BCM being faulty. When Viper alarms are installed, they generally aren't wired to lock/unlock the doors directly but rather use a trigger signal to simulate the inside lock switches telling the BCM to work the locks. And assuming that VATS isn't the problem (SECURITY light on or flashing) then the fact that you can't get into programming mode also points to the BCM. Replacing your BCM may be your only alternative at this point.
security light stays on from time after i shut off the engine i.e just hang out in the car/listen to music. i did have to solder the T joint on the bcm a years back for the stereo and window fix. But to clarifiy i dont have any problems trying to start the car or any of the vats related issues. To also clraify the viper dealer told me the viper alarm was not at fault. I did a quick search and someone had the dealer tell them the "output signal to the door locks was fried in the bcm", basically told to replace the bcm. I think im going to have to do just that. what doesnt make sense is that the OEM fob does LOCK the doors and enables the alarm hmm? I hope this whole thread serves as great info to some strange symptoms , whitebird i appreciate your concern man!!

Quick Reply: Alarm Problem