Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Removed head unit and found these:

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I've removed my radio head unit today so I can fit my new one. Once it was out I found the following disconnected black wire tucked down the back - it comes out of a harness wrapped in a black rubber sleeve and doesn't appear to be part of the radio wiring. As it has a bare end I was concerned that it should either be cut back and wrapped in tape to prevent potential shorting out or connected back to whatever it was originally connected to! Does anybody have any idea what that wiring would be for? I've tried to picture as focussed as I can on the harness it comes from:

Also, it looks like somebody had a sub woofer fitted previously as the rca outs are behind the radio. On one of these there is another single cable with a tinned end which wouldn't appear to connect to anything even if I fitted a sub - what is that one?:

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

James.
Attached Thumbnails Removed head unit and found these:-img_6837.jpg   Removed head unit and found these:-img_6841.jpg   Removed head unit and found these:-img_6842.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-03-2017 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 04-04-2017, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The blue white wire looks like it is the remote turn on for whatever sub amp was installed in the car. This wire is an input and won't cause any shorts, especially if the amp has been removed.

As for the black wire, it looks like the sleeve it goes into has wire loops in it? My guess is it was some form of ground, you can verify that with a multimeter. If you're worried about it, tape is cheap and good insurance, or a butt-connector/crimp cap.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have indeed taped the end of the black wire now. I did pull all that bunch of cables out a bit further and there's a mixture of white and greens in the bunch along with 2 Smaller RCA plugs. From the research I've done since I posted it looks like it may have been something to do with the old Monsoon head unit and cd changer in the boot.

All sorted now with my new radio.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The factory CD changer harness has six wires... bare (uninsulated), dark green/white, brown/white, black/white, black, and dark green. The Monsoon system had no RCA connectors anywhere, including the back of the head unit, so a previous owner must have installed an aftermarket head unit at one time (otherwise there would have been nowhere to plug in the RCA cables you found).

Quick Reply: Removed head unit and found these: