Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Looking for experience with these Double Din units

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for experience with these Double Din units

I just picked up a '99 Firehawk with the Monsoon system and I am looking to replace the stock HU with a double din. I think I've narrowed it down to these two but just looking for first hand experience with either.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X28...S.html?tp=5684

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX...T.html?tp=5684
Old 04-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

i just bought a similar Pioneer unit (AVH-280BT)

it looks like a great unit. i havent gotten it installed yet, wiating on my double din bezel. i got a backup camera from amazon too.

sorry not alot of help, but i was mainly shopping for best value, with highest customer rating and good reveiws.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Both aren't bad, though I'm not a fan of the cheaper ddin h/us because the display is pretty cheap looking and the delay is terrible between touching and response. I think the kenwood is gonna have a pretty bad resolution, with the pioneer being marginally better.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Just remember when you do this, you will have to modify the radio bezel; Not difficult if you have ever worked w/ bondo and then wrap in leather. I've also seen these for sale online before already made but not recently.

Are you going to add amplifiers to expand the system too?
Old 04-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98_Newb
Just remember when you do this, you will have to modify the radio bezel; Not difficult if you have ever worked w/ bondo and then wrap in leather. I've also seen these for sale online before already made but not recently.

Are you going to add amplifiers to expand the system too?
either one comes with the double din bezel needed so no modification necessary.

Probably not anytime soon if at all really. I'll see how the HU upgrades the sound and if I yearn for more I'll get the Kee audio setup for the speakers and that should be plenty for me
Old 04-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bad324

Probably not anytime soon if at all really. I'll see how the HU upgrades the sound and if I yearn for more I'll get the Kee audio setup for the speakers and that should be plenty for me
I've only heard one CDT CL setup before and for the price they are hard to beat although the highs left something to be desired. If you yearn for more, I'd amplify them and sound deaden the doors! If it matters any; I was always a Alpine guy until I gave Pioneer a chance and haven't looked back.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad324
No... each head unit is available with an installation kit which has the bezel, harness adapter, antenna adapter, and optionally a steering wheel control adapter. The kits add between $18 and $80 to the head unit cost depending on which one you get. There have been some complaints that the Metra bezel in the kits doesn't match the interior color or texture so if that is important to you, you may want to look at other suppliers.

Also, don't believe the listing that says you don't get retained accessory power (RAP) unless you buy their most expensive kit. RAP is a function of the BCM in f-bodies (not the head unit) and is standard even if you get their cheapest kit.

EDIT: Sorry, the cheapest kit is available for free for Firebirds (the bezel is much smaller) - I was initially looking at Camaro kits. The other comments about matching the interior and RAP still apply.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No... each head unit is available with an installation kit which has the bezel, harness adapter, antenna adapter, and optionally a steering wheel control adapter. The kits add between $18 and $80 to the head unit cost depending on which one you get. There have been some complaints that the Metra bezel in the kits doesn't match the interior color or texture so if that is important to you, you may want to look at other suppliers.
I should have been more specific but yes that's what I meant about "coming with one" and not needing to modify my existing stock one.

I figure I'm going to roll with the metra bezel first and see if I like it and if not go for one of the other options.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Launching!

I thought the ACC wire on the F-bodies were in the standard harness. It still acts as RAP, but you don't need a module like the newer GM vehicles...
Old 04-27-2017, 06:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, that's exactly right. The BCM provides the RAP power for radio and power windows on all f-body models as standard equipment. For some reason, Crutchfield lists three different installation kits with only their most expensive one providing RAP when in reality RAP is still available even if you don't buy any of their kits.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I Got the pioneer avh391 bhs at Best Buy for $299 installed and it's great, Bluetooth connection is great with my iPhones me and works with the phone function , steering wheel buttons and iPod
Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't over think the bezel. I got a cheap one.....$69 the color is black with a smooth finish so it is slightly off from the rest of the dash but in the 4 yrs I have it in the car NO ONE has mentioned it and when I point it out to them we both get a good laugh out of it.
I have Kenwood Excelon DD

hope this helps
Old 05-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hrlyhnx
Don't over think the bezel. I got a cheap one.....$69 the color is black with a smooth finish so it is slightly off from the rest of the dash but in the 4 yrs I have it in the car NO ONE has mentioned it and when I point it out to them we both get a good laugh out of it.
I have Kenwood Excelon DD

hope this helps
here is my bezel. i got it from amazon, CustomInstallParts and only $45 bucks with the wiring harness and antenna adapter

Name:  20170501_131902.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  20170501_131918.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  137.0 KB

Quick Reply: Looking for experience with these Double Din units