Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 Camaro Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Camaro Stereo Upgrade

So, I have a 2002 Camaro SS LE SLP car which I adore. It has been my DD for close to a decade now and I see it as a car that I intend to keep. One day it will become a fun weekend car but for now, it remains my DD.

Because it is a DD, I'm not worried about any "collector value" or anything with it. It has just over 100K miles so I doubt it has much anyway. But, I still want to avoid cutting it up unnecessarily.

Currently, the car still has it's stock stereo in it. It has a single disc CD player in the dash and a 6-disc changer in the truck (which never worked that well). The speakers are old and crackly.

I'd like to upgrade to a nicer stereo...but I don't know if what I want is realistic. I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some feedback.

First off, I'd like to replace the head unit with something more modern. My car has the factory option CamaroSS dash plaque (as opposed to the normal 35th Anniversary plaque) and I'd like to deep that intact. My hope is a smaller head unit could be placed in the area the factory unit occupies...without expanding it. Is that possible? I'm hopeful I can find a small enough head unit that still has a decent screen on it that can be a GPS (and maybe a backup camera...yes I know, it's unnecessary but it would be kinda neat).

What I want out of a head unit is basically a blue tooth compatible system which I assume most are. I'd like to be able to pair it to my phone and play music from my phone (no more stupid CDs!) and be able to talk on the phone through the car speakers (no more stupid headset). I'd also like it to have a GPS and again...maybe be compatible with a backup camera (if one can be installed without too much destruction to the car).

I don't need a lot in the way of high end speakers...just something that can replace the blown out factory speakers. Ideally, something that would fit behind the factory speaker screens in the doors so you don't see them. I know that might not be possible...if not, something that is discreet.

Finally, I'm hopeful it can be wired in such a way to allow the volume control and seeking buttons on the steering wheel still to work. I don't know if this is possible, but I really don't want to lose that functionality.

I don't think my goals are super grand...but they are pretty specific. Can this be done or do I need to alter what I want?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Everything you're looking for is possible except maybe getting a smaller head unit that still has the features you want. Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, and things like USB support are all available in smaller HUs but touch screen, GPS, and backup camera would be larger unless you get one of those ones with a motorized pop-out screen (not recommended).

Fortunately, the dash plaque is removable (it just snaps into a pair of extra switch slots on the dash trim bezel) so you can go with a double DIN head unit by replacing the bezel with a modified one and transferring the plaque or you could modify your existing bezel if you're good with plastic work. Going to a double DIN head unit gives you all the features you want and tends to look more like a factory installation than most single DIN units. Your double DIN options are limited only by your budget. Stick with the major brands such as Pioneer and Kenwood (and to a lesser extent JVC, Sony, Alpine). Avoid off-brands like Pyle (Pyle of crap) and Boss.

If you want minimal wiring and installation work, stick with the existing Monsoon amp and get some speakers from Kee Audio to work with that setup. The sound will be a big improvement over stock for daily driving but it won't be competition audio. If you want even better performance (especially if you need more power) then you should rewire, install a good aftermarket amp, and the best 6.5" speakers you can afford plus a sub or two.

You will need a wiring harness adapter to avoid butchering the factory wiring (about $15), an antenna adapter (about $5), and a steering wheel control adapter such as the Axxess ASWC-1 (around $60).
Old 04-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

i just installed a double din touchscreen DVD unit this weekend, into the exact same car (2002 SS LE #1595)

i bought a Pioneer AVH-280BT, PAC SWI-RC steering wheel controls and a backup camera.

i got the dash kit from Custom Install Parts and it is great!!! perfect match to factory, same color, same texture, perfect fit!

programming the steering wheels controls wasa bit time consuming, and figuring out the parking brake work around took some time.

it might be easier to just order the parking brake bypass kit.

Name:  20170416_103336.jpg
Views: 2493
Size:  84.5 KB
Name:  20170416_103357.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  71.8 KB
Name:  20170416_103440.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  34.0 KB
Name:  20170416_104344.jpg
Views: 2511
Size:  65.3 KB
Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm sofa king, I've got a Double DIN Pioneer and the Metra kit painted to match, but I've had it almost 2 years and just haven't taken the time to install it. Was there any cutting to get the double dine to fit BEHIND the dash? Specifically, the "shelf" that the stock radio sits on? I thought I read somewhere that it limits depth, but you can cut the back out and there's plenty of room. Did you find that to be the case?

I did go ahead and order the parking brake bypass kit, so when I do get around to installing everything, it should be easier...
Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Oh, and post up some pictures without the HU on and lit up so that we can see the fitment!
Old 04-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
I'm sofa king, I've got a Double DIN Pioneer and the Metra kit painted to match, but I've had it almost 2 years and just haven't taken the time to install it. Was there any cutting to get the double dine to fit BEHIND the dash? Specifically, the "shelf" that the stock radio sits on? I thought I read somewhere that it limits depth, but you can cut the back out and there's plenty of room. Did you find that to be the case?

I did go ahead and order the parking brake bypass kit, so when I do get around to installing everything, it should be easier...

there is 1 little tab at the back that needs to be cut off. its pretty easy to tell which tab, we just used a hack saw but anything would work. it does have a metal bracket in it too.

there is a lot of room back there.

sorry, yeah it was late when we finished, and the car is covered up now. i'll try to get some day light pics of it.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Great! Thanks! Looking forward to more pics!
Old 05-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

here are some better day time pics.

Name:  20170501_131902.jpg
Views: 3854
Size:  112.4 KB
Name:  20170501_131942.jpg
Views: 4562
Size:  186.1 KB

now i see the small gap at the bottom. not sure how to fix that.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Launching!

The little strips of adhesive backed foam tape work wonders for filling small gaps. It will smoosh down and fill the gaps, and is pretty much impossible to notice. Lots of speakers and subs will come with strips of it. If the foam is gray, just hit it with a black sharpie pen.

If you can't find any, you could probably ask for left overs at any car audio shop.

The other option is to loosen up all hardware for the mounting brackets, slide them down a little and re-tighten. Should close that gap up without any major work. Worst case scenario, take a dremel or drill bit to the mounting holes, and open them up slightly. That should give you the adjustment needed to re-center the HU.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro Stereo Upgrade