Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket HU Depth Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket HU Depth Question

Hey All,

I've been putting it off forever, but I think it's finally time to replace the factory HU in my '01 Trans Am.

From what I've read, it seems pretty easy. My question in on the depth. Crutchfield says that an aftermarket HU requires me removing or cutting the support bracket behind the HU, which I didn't really want to do. Is that true?

I see that some aftermarket HUs labeled as "digital media" HUs (no CD player) are much more shallow, so I assume those might work without modification.

Anyone have experience here? Did you guys have to mod anything?

I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-X580BS or DEH-X390BT. I've never been a big fan of Sony car audio, but they make a DSX-A405BT that is also nice and shallow and says it will install without modification.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM
Launching!

You have a couple options when it comes to radio depth.

Your first option would be a shallow HU, which as you've noted usually won't have the CD drive on board. Nothing wrong with using one of those units, but sometimes the connectors or RCAs can still contact the support structure. If its just touching, I would be okay with it. If you have to cram it in, you run the risk of damaging a cable, or worst case scenario, damaging the circuit board inside the HU.

Myself, I have always been willing to trim those supports inside of the dash. Most of these supports are placed in there to hold the weight of the radio, not for keeping the dash supported. You'll see a plastic nub on the back of the radio that slots into the supports to hold it in place. That is what the bracket is there for. There is a ton of hardware holding the dash in place, and a small bracket being removed will not cause the dash to sag, or become unsafe.

The other thing to consider is that the dash kit for these vehicles that hold the aftermarket radio will have a small trim ring that is optional to use. I prefer to remove them myself, so that the radio sits in as deep as possible, and gives the radio a flush look. You can always use the ring, which will cause the radio to sit about half an inch further out of the dash. This does not look bad, but it is a different look.

There is also a Metra branded install kit that is sold for GM cars, that has optional front pieces that you can choose from. Some of these will bring the radio up to an inch out of the dash. A lot of the cars from the 80's and early 90's had almost no room behind the radio. These faces were used to bring the radio forward enough to get the wiring and larger aftermarket radios to still securely mount in the dash. Just looked up the Metra number for this kit, it is still sold today. Search for 99-4544 from Metra.

These are a couple options, and I'm sure there are more out there. Look around and see what you can find, and reach out if you have any other questions.

Last edited by 1999nbmZ; 04-25-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently installed a double DIN. I myself like you didn't want to modify the plastic piece in the dash. It an easy modification and doesn't affect anything. Go for it!
Old 05-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Just to clarify, I had not typed in the model numbers that you listed in your original question. Those are single DIN units, that will work perfectly with the suggestions I listed above.

If someone has the same question about a double DIN setup, then the bracket/kit info I stated would not work. Those are all for single DIN options.

Can't remember how much cutting, if any, was done for my double DIN.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU Depth Question