Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

? On items plugged into cig lighter draining battery way quicker

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Question ? On items plugged into cig lighter draining battery way quicker

so it had been raining for 3 days and this morning I was planning on driving my Camaro since it was going to be a dry day. only to turn the key and the car wouldn't turn over. the battery's fairly new, less than a year old. I have 2 things constantly and always plugged into one cig lighter which is a 2 usb into one adapter. the 2 are 1) old smartphone I use for my Torque App (obd2 reader was not plugged in) and 2) my dash cam.

I didn't think the 2 items would draw a lot of power to drain the battery within only 4 days? I can understand if it would had been closer to a week but 4 days is kind of short is it not or am I wrong? currently have the battery tender charging it while I took my 2nd vehicle to work.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I wouldn't think that those two small draws would be able to kill a healthy battery that fast. Was a light possibly left on in the glove box maybe? Do you have a way to load test the battery? Even if it's relatively new I've seen some fail a load test right off the interstate truck, just happens. If that checks out then I guess it's time to start digging in and checking parasitic draw, could be an alternator shorted out internally, seen that a few times.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the response. I would think the light would turn off when the glovebox is closed? I can double check if it remains closed when its back in the garage with no lights on haha.

so an idea is to take the battery to get it tested/charged at like autozone/advance auto parts?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes sir, have them load test it for you. If it passes fine then check your glove box light, if that's good we'll have to dig deeper.

Quick Reply: ? On items plugged into cig lighter draining battery way quicker