Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Camaro front door speaker install-might had wired it wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unhappy Camaro front door speaker install-might had wired it wrong

So I bought a cheap pair of Pioneer 3 way 4-ohm speakers on CL. the speakers are coaxial and just realize that I should had looked/bought speakers that are components
so I found this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ent-setup.html
so should I just snip the wires that I soldered that's linked to the tweeters?

fwiw I have an aftermarket head unit and have a subwoofer in the back.
currently the front speakers work but as I turn the volume up the speakers get scratchy.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The ideal situation is installing component speakers in the doors but coaxially mounted component options are limited. The next best option is to modify a normal coaxial speaker to separate the tweeter so that you can still use the separate channels from the Monsoon amp but some coaxial speakers aren't easily modified that way. If neither of those options are available, connect your coaxial speakers to the original woofer wires and tape up the tweeter wires so that they don't short out. The woofer wires get full-range (unfiltered) signal and the coaxial speaker's built-in crossover will take care of the tweeter.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the advice. I decided to cut the pair of wires that lead to the tweeters and wow, I can hear what's coming out of the speakers now when I can turn up the volume haha.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had a monsoon system factory the speakers are 2 ohm. You could bypass the amp and run them right off the head unit for better sound.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see. I do have the monsoon system (black box behind passenger hatch area). however the 2 front door speakers are blown and cracking when I turn the volume up.

how would I bypass the monsoon amp and run straight from the head unit? there's 4 wires from the front door speakers, the +/- midrange and the +/- tweeters.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Bypassing the Monsoon amp is a foolish thing to do. The Monsoon amp is not particularly powerful but it provides more power than the head unit alone and it produces output into eight channels with signal filtering to shape the sound for the environment. It provides clean output when given clean input so saying that the sound quality will improve by eliminating it is misinformed.

The factory head unit is a distortion machine and the primary source of sound quality complaints about Monsoon systems but you've already replaced that so removing the amp won't help at all.

If you find that the Monsoon amp doesn't give you enough power or flexibility then rewiring and installing a good aftermarket amp is the way to go. Your options then are limited only by your budget. But bypassing the Monsoon amp and running head unit alone to improve sound is dumb.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am running an aftermarket amp that powers the subwoofer fwiw.
its a cheapo one i got from advance auto
http://shop.agreatertown.com/auto_pa...0295_000155435
Old 06-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, adding a separate amp and sub to a Monsoon system is a common upgrade that provides more bass without major modification to the system. That's generally as far as you can go without changing to a completely aftermarket system (4-channel amp, speakers, wiring).
Old 06-09-2017, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool, glad im on the right track, somewhat lol. thanks for your help whitebird00

Quick Reply: Camaro front door speaker install-might had wired it wrong