Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

yes another sail panel speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default yes another sail panel speaker question

I will start by saying yes, I know there are a few hundred threads about the Monsoon speaker replacement challenges, but you have to admit it is a bit confusing.

A few years ago one of the sail panel speakers went in my 2000 WS6. I replaced all my speakers with the Kee Audio set at that time to avoid the confusion of finding a replacement. Well the driver side sail panel CDT replacement never worked quite right and had a tick to it. Well it seems to have died completely now.

Forgive me for not wanting to go that route again, but I am trying to find something else. I realize the sail panel speakers are supposedly DVC 4 ohm speakers, but there is only a single pair of connectors on each speaker. I assume that means both voice coils are just connected together forming a 2ohm load. If that is the case, can I just get a single voice coil 2ohm replacement? There is only one pair of wires and one pair of terminals on both the factory speaker and the CDT replacement. Or the next question would be about the 4ohm dual voice coil speakers I have seen for sale that have two sets of terminals. If I get those, how would I wire the single factory pair of wires to them? Do I just splice both terminals to the single factory wires?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a more involved setup, but I would absolutely do it all over again if I ever swap F-bodies. I also outline how to wire for DVC (Pontiac) and SVC (Chevy). I am not sure why yours is missing a set of wires.

INSTALL GUIDE: Replacing 6.5" Monsoon Subs w/ 8" Rockford Fosgate Subs

"Connect wires. On Firebird/Trans Am, simply connect red-to-red and black-to-black. 4 wires, 4 connections. On Camaro, Rockford Fosgate recommends splitting the red wire to both red connections and the black wire to both black connections. You can simply connect to one side, and then jumper that using a short set of wires to the red and black ports on the other side of the speaker (again, red-to-red and black-to-black). In this way, the DVC speaker is now running at 2 ohms, which is what the factory Camaro SVC subs are rated at, as opposed to dual 4 ohms in the Pontiacs."
Old 06-09-2017, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If you mean that you have a Firebird with only one pair of wires in each sail panel then it is not a Monsoon system or someone has modified the wiring. If you mean that the speakers you have in the sail panels only have one pair of terminals then you have the wrong speakers for a Firebird Monsoon system.

This is an important distinction because the base system had only four 4-ohm speakers (doors and sail panels) while the Monsoon system had 10 speakers with a mix of impedance. The Monsoon amp is not bridgeable so you can't wire the two pairs in each sail panel together (unless you want to let out all the smoke from the amp). And the Delco head unit is not 2-ohm stable so you can't install 2-ohm speakers anywhere in a base system.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will take some pictures tonight, but I have owned it since new, the head unit says monsoon, the black amp is by the spare, and there are speakers in the hatch. The oem sail panel speaker and cdt replacement have a single set of terminals.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Sorry but if you do then you have the only Firebird coupe Monsoon system ever made (out of about 130,000) that has SVC sail panel subs. The Kee Audio packages also list only DVC subs (Bazooka or CDT) for Firebird Monsoon systems. Here are the CDT HD-6M speakers...

CDT HD-6M Dual Voice Coil subs

You will notice that there are red and black (positive and negative) terminals on each side.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OEM speakers should look like this:

Quick Reply: yes another sail panel speaker question