Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Amp with Aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Monsoon Amp with Aftermarket HU

For those that are in the world of knowledge when it comes to the Monsoon Amplifiers.
I am installing a Monsoon Amp into a car (Fiero) with an aftermarket Head Unit.
I have the wiring diagram for the amplifier.
I have two questions;
1- Purple Wire to the Amp says "Gain Control Signal", do I need that? and if so what do I hook that to on the new Head Unit?
2- Dark Green Wire to the Amp says "Amp Control", do I need that? and if so what do I hook that to on the new Head Unit?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

First question... why on earth would anyone want to install a Monsoon amp when there are so many good aftermarket options available?

Second question... what model vehicle did the Monsoon amp come from? GM has used the Monsoon system in a wide variety of their vehicles from the 90s right up through some current models and all of them are different. In fact, the Monsoon system in a 4th generation Camaro is different from the one in the Firebird and the convertibles got a third variation.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm with WhiteBird. Don't waste your time trying to install a factory amp in a car it didn't originally come in. For less effort and probably similar cost you could get an aftermarket amp with similar power output.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Q1- I want to keep the car with all factory Pontiac options where available, even if they came from another pontiac. As well I already own the amp and I am doing this on the cheap.
Q2- From an 04 Grand Am GT

Schematics show the same as the F-Body.
1- Purple Wire to the Amp says "Gain Control Signal", do I need that? and if so what do I hook that to on the new Head Unit?
2- Dark Green Wire to the Amp says "Amp Control", do I need that? and if so what do I hook that to on the new Head Unit?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Teching In

I may have figured out my own issue.
Dark Green Wire is connected to the remote power on.
The Gain Control can be connected to the factory performance sound gain control for the factory sub.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Amp with Aftermarket HU