Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keyless Entry Doesn't Work. I'm Stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry Doesn't Work. I'm Stumped.

The keyless entry does not work anymore on my 99 trans am. I have done all I know to do. I have replaced batteries. I bought a new remote and tried to program it.
(Please don't tell me to remove the radio fuse, turn the key 3 times blah blah, I tried it 1000 times (figuratively but at least 10 times I tried it). The car went into program mode but did not connect to the fob, old or new)
I am frustrated. I even took out the BCM to take a gander at the soldering on the board and it looks completely fine under a hand lens)
I have no idea what to do. It just decided to quit a while back and now I'm stuck locking/unlocking the doors with my fingers like a peasant.

If anyone has an idea please help. Thanks guys and gals.

Misc. info: I have an aftermarket stereo, but I put that in years before I had the keyless problems. I have 1 original key fob and 1 I just bought from amazon. I have the VATS stuff jerry-rigged with resistors, but I can't see that being a problem; it's started 100% fine since I did that. The power locks usually work fine. The power windows work fine, albeit I've put like 6 window motors in this bad boy. All of that stuff is controlled by the BCM right? So that is in working order I'd assume.

This seemed like an easy thing to start with on a long list of things I need to work on.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Let's start the diagnostics with determining if the BCM is accepting any programming. That will tell us if the BCM works or not. First, note that entering programming mode is a different procedure from matching remotes. The first couple of steps are the same but after removing the RADIO fuse, turn the ignition switch to the ACC position (towards yourself) rather than cycling the switch three times between OFF and RUN. When you enter programming mode, do you hear one or two chimes? Two chimes indicates you have the optional alarm system and allows additional programming options.

In either case, once in programming mode, press the inside lock switch and count the number of chimes (1 - 4). Then use the lock switch to change the setting by pressing it enough times to cycle to a different mode... preferably 1 or 3 because they are easy to check. Turn the ignition off and replace the RADIO fuse to exit programming mode. Now open the driver's door and then press the lock switch. If you had changed to mode 1 then the doors will lock immediately. If you had changed to mode 3 then you should hear three chimes and the doors won't lock. Close the door and check that the doors then lock. If that doesn't work as expected then you probably have a bad BCM.

If that did work as it should then you could still have a bad BCM but it is much less likely. The more likely issue is either bad remotes or the remote matching procedure. Bad remotes could be just the battery or it could also be that the external buttons aren't engaging the circuit board. You can determine if that is the problem by opening the fob and pressing the buttons on the circuit board directly. Try that during your matching procedure and see if it makes a difference.

One question... what did you mean by "the power locks usually work fine"? Do they sometimes fail? That could be an indicator of a problem beyond the remotes.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Doesn't Work. I'm Stumped.