Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing terminated leads

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Replacing terminated leads

Not sure which forum exactly was the best one for this. I've been chasing down ABS and a few other issues and it looks like it's all come down to old worn connectors in several of the cars connectors (everything in this car is a swap). Had an ABS INOP light for two years that was purely due a loss of connectivity in the C200 body harness.

Anyway, I've been having issues with losing ABS when hot and most of the female terminals look to be in very bad shape. Is there a good source for terminated leads to replace these, or should I just find a junkyard connector and hope for the best?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

We'll move this over to Electronics.

GM gives dealers terminal repair kits to change these pieces out. Here is a current manual: http://www.weber.edu/wsuimages/autom...ir Booklet.pdf

It's pretty easy to change the terminals out and all the parts can be had from places like Mouser for very little expense. (I've rebuilt a number of my car's harnesses and they are as good as new.) The hard part (sometimes) is identifying the terminal/connector type so the proper part number can be looked up. I have other references for that if you ever have the need.

The other key piece is that the proper ratcheting crimpers are absolutely required. The part numbers are given in the Terminal Repair Manual ^ and these pieces are the most expensive part of the whole deal. (But, you only have to buy them once.) I was able to get most of mine off of eBay when all the GM dealers were closing several years back. Sometimes they do pop up for good prices there.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent info, thanks! I think the hardest part now is just that I have no idea which terminal style I need. I know I'd like to replace the terminals at the ABS block for now. Not sure how to even find what those are.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Do you have a copy of the GM Factory Service Manuals? They give many of the connector types in the electrical sections.

From there, I've found that this catalog is the next most helpful: ttps://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/DCS Global Catalog.pdf

^ These take care of 90% of the situations.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Couldn't figure out exactly which ones they were other than it's the GT 150 style but with how cheap they are I just ordered 25 of each kind. Sadly only one cheap used tool on Ebay but the picture didn't look correct. Oh well, another excuse to buy new quality tools and I'm sure I'll use it again.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Save the manuals!

The GT connectors aren't on our cars. We are going to mainly have Metri Pack connectors with a smattering of Weatherpack and Micropack connectors., and then some other older miscellaneous stuff.

If it's not in the catalog, I can help you track it down. There are other resources. Are these connectors that go directly in to ABS sensors?

Quick Reply: Replacing terminated leads