Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

95 LT1 Bird with rear LED bulb blinker timing issues passenger rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 95 LT1 Bird with rear LED bulb blinker timing issues passenger rear

Greetings all.

I recently made some retro tails for my 95 bird, and decided to go full LED on the exterior.

The bulbs look AWESOME with this mod!

However, I am experiencing an issue with the passenger rear blinkering bulbs.

My setup:
95 bird
98+ rear light harness (stock one rusted as a lens leaked water)
LED bulbs all the way around the car
both flashers replaced with LED ones - 4 way flashers are on separate it's circuit

Here's the issue:
The passenger side 2 bulbs don't blink together when the running lights are on. It is super weird.

When the running lights are off, the 2 bulbs blink together and turn off together. Turn the running lights on, both bulbs light up at the same time, but the outside bulb turns off before the inside one, making it look really effin stupid.

The drivers side doesn't do this, so there must be some sort of issue at work here.

I have swapped bulbs back and forth, and it isn't a bulb issue.

This happens if the ignition is on and I use the blinker, or turn the blinker off and turn the 4 way flashers on. It doesn't seem to matter which circuit is powering the blinkers.

Now, I'm aware that LED bulbs draw significantly less power, but how do I go about fixing this issue?

How do I diagnose it for certain?

Thanks in advance for any help!! It is driving me nuts!!

Last edited by FirebirdStud; 08-12-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

can anyone help me with this? Or point me in the direction on where to start?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I had some weird stuff happen when in one of my 2 filament bulbs in the rear, one element burned out, and fell across the other element shorting the running light and turn signal circuits together.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I had some weird stuff happen when in one of my 2 filament bulbs in the rear, one element burned out, and fell across the other element shorting the running light and turn signal circuits together.
Yeah, I have seen that too. But these are LED. There's nothing to burn out and short circuit anything that I am aware of.

I don't even think the length of the wires are that different to cause an issue.

It's baffling me - I dont know where to start..
Old 08-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Have you tried replacing the LED bulbs with standard incandescent to see if the problem persists? That could help determine whether the LED bulbs are the cause or if it's something in the wiring like a bad ground.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Have you tried replacing the LED bulbs with standard incandescent to see if the problem persists? That could help determine whether the LED bulbs are the cause or if it's something in the wiring like a bad ground.
I dont remember it ever doing this with incandescent bulbs before, but I will try that tonight to see if it changes at all.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put incandescent bulbs back in, and to the naked eye I can't tell a difference like the LED bulbs.

I ohmed out both sockets on the right hand side, and they are very close so I don't think that is the issue.

I checked the wiring connector just behind the drivers taillight and there is no corrosion.

i cleaned and re-tightened the ground by the trunk release mechanism as well.

Same issue. The timing look stupid as it's off just enough to be distracting.

I am at a loss here..
Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

When you say there is a difference in the turn-off time between the two bulbs, how much difference do you mean? Is it like the difference between LEDs and incandescent bulbs (LEDS being much faster)? Or is it even more than that?

Does the same timing difference happen when turning off the running lights or is it only the bright circuit (signals, hazards, brakes)?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
When you say there is a difference in the turn-off time between the two bulbs, how much difference do you mean? Is it like the difference between LEDs and incandescent bulbs (LEDS being much faster)? Or is it even more than that?

Does the same timing difference happen when turning off the running lights or is it only the bright circuit (signals, hazards, brakes)?
by off timing I mean the two bulbs together on the passenger side do not turn off together. They turn on together, but they do not turn off together.

For sharts and giggles, I pulled the LED bulbs out of my 97 Silverado and stuck them in the 'Bird. Guess what? No freaking issue.

I have contacted the seller and got an RMA for these bulbs. Turns out it was the bulbs, and not my car.

I already have a different style on order from a different vendor.

I am glad I tried the bulbs out of my truck to get this figured out.

Once the new bulbs arrive we will see how they work!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess is an internal capacitor variance of some sort.

Quick Reply: 95 LT1 Bird with rear LED bulb blinker timing issues passenger rear