Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

my Monsoon speakers are awful and old what can I get to replace them??

Old 08-13-2017, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my Monsoon speakers are awful and old what can I get to replace them??

98 T/A with Monsoon sound system, my door and sail panel speakers are God awful, I know that Monsoons are harder to replace and I understand they have subs in the sail panels and an amplifier I've read up on all that, but can anyone tell me what I can use besides a $300 set of Kee audio which is WAY more than I wanted to spend as I have other things to upgrade/ fix as well on this car. I just want a good aftermarket speaker that costs less than $100 a set and I can splice them in thats not a problem as I already have an aftermarket head unit.. but I'm reading about these Monsoon speakers and no one seems to explain how you can make regular aftermarket speakers work... can someone explain or tell me my best bet..
Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I ordered the level 3 kit from Kee Audio a couple years back, Not worth the price & customer service is non-existent, You don't want to install 4 ohm speakers in place of 2 ohm as it cut's power in half.

I'm going a different route on mine & getting rid of the Monsoon, [classifieds language removed].

Last edited by wssix99; 11-12-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: classifieds violation
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Installing 4-ohm speakers is not a problem. First because Firebirds don't have the same 2-ohm setup that Camaros have but also because the difference is so small. Yes, technically doubling the impedance of a speaker reduces power by half but half power does not mean half volume - cutting the power in half reduces volume by 3dB which is about one click of the volume ****. You would have to cut power by a factor of ten to reduce volume by half (logarithmic scale). And that doesn't take into account the fact that most decent aftermarket speakers will be at least 3dB more efficient (sensitive) than the factory speakers resulting in no loss at all.

As far as replacement speakers... there really aren't going to be any decent replacements that are as cheap as you're trying to find. About the cheapest dual voice coil 6.5" subs you will find are from Pyle but they are a Pyle of Crap (at only about $12 each they probably sound worse than what you're trying to replace). The Bazookas have been quite popular and well received but a pair will cost $120 if you can find them anymore. There are more options for the doors if you just replace the mids but if you replace the door component sets (mid and tweeter) you're into higher cost again.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The SSA Evil 6.5s are on sale for $43 right now. They will kick the crap out of almost everything else for that price.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Except that they are SVC instead of DVC. You can use them but you give up an amp channel on each side (again, half the power is not a huge problem but it is more significant in subs than in other speakers).
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Forgive my ignorance, since my car has never had the Monsoon system (previous owner removed it), but the amp provides two 4-ohm channels or two 2-ohm channels for the bass?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A bandit
I just want a good aftermarket speaker that costs less than $100 a set and I can splice them in thats not a problem as I already have an aftermarket head unit.. but I'm reading about these Monsoon speakers and no one seems to explain how you can make regular aftermarket speakers work... can someone explain or tell me my best bet..
Just get the $110 Bazooka set from Kee: http://www.keeaudio.com/bazooka.html

You'll be way better off than the car was when it was new and the speakers will last longer than the rest of the car will.

Here's the install: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html

^ Forget all the BS I did with the wiring and nuts. Just solder on the original wire harnesses and use self tapping screws to secure them in-place. That will make it a 45 minute job and you'll be off to bigger things on the car!
Old 08-15-2017, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Forgive my ignorance, since my car has never had the Monsoon system (previous owner removed it), but the amp provides two 4-ohm channels or two 2-ohm channels for the bass?
Firebirds have DVC subs in the sail panels that have two 4-ohm voice coils. Camaros have SVC subs there that are 2 ohms. That's why the Bazookas and CDTs can be used for both models - two separate 4-ohm channels in Firebirds or wired in parallel to produce a single 2-ohm load for Camaros.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:17 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Okay, that's what I thought. For some reason, I read that as having dual channels based on a previous comment.

In that case, a 4-ohm speaker works perfectly fine there. But it is at half the wattage. Finding a highest sensitivity 4-ohm would work as there aren't a ton of options for 2-ohm speakers...
Old 08-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, it has dual channels. The Monsoon amp in a Firebird actually devotes two of its eight channels to each sail panel sub (four channels in all). The other four channels are for the door and hatch area mids while the front and rear tweeters are powered directly from the head unit.

In a Camaro, every speaker element gets a single channel (including the tweeters) so all eight speakers are powered by the amp.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your best bet is to ditch everything Monsoon all together which is what I did. I'm running Kicker CRT67's in the sail panels and AD Design in the front doors with a Rockford Fosgate T400x4AD amp in the original amp's spot and I couldn't be happier to be honest.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Image Dynamics CTX65CS are 6.5" component and sound great. -$169.99 for set of two.

Put them in the doors and side panels, and put some full range 4" in the cargo area like Image-Dynamics-ID4.

Mounting Depth:on the CTX65CS is 2.75" so you will have to measure to see if these will fit.

You can get an Audio control LC7i -$130 and ACR-1 remote - $26.99 if doing subs which should allow for easy integration of the factory head unit to the new speakers.

For an amp, I'd get a good used JL 450/4

There's also this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_044C10....html?tp=61799
Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im still really happy with my alpine R's about $100 for a pair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my Monsoon speakers are awful and old what can I get to replace them??