Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

'99 Camaro Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Camaro Radio

Hi to all.
I have a Sony xplod afrermarket radio on my '99 Camaro.

The radio comes on with and without the ignition key on and i want that it can comes on ONLY if ignition key is on like the factory Delco radio.

I think, but I'm not sure because I've to check it, that the yellow and red wire are together.

Somebody knows where I have to put the power wire to have the radio power under ignition key like factory gm mode?

many thanks!

Last edited by Volcente; 09-01-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you have a wiring harness adapter installed then just match the wire colors from the Sony head unit to the wires in the harness adapter (i.e. red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.).

If you're connecting directly to the factory wiring (not a good idea) then you want to connect the red wire from the head unit to the yellow wire in the factory harness and the yellow wire from the head unit to the orange wire in the factory harness. That will make the radio go off and on with the ignition while still maintaining the clock and station presets while the ignition is off.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:19 AM
Teching In

Many thanks Whitebird!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Why if it is connect directly to the factory wiring is not a good idea?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Connecting directly to the factory wiring rather than using a $10 adapter harness isn't a good idea for a couple of reasons. It means that either the factory connectors were cut off or, even worse, the head unit wires were tapped into the factory wiring using something like ScotchLock connectors. That means that you can't unplug the head unit from the factory wiring for either maintenance access or in case you want to return to the stock radio (say, if you sell the vehicle). It also means that you have a potential point of failure in those connections that isn't necessary and can complicate finding audio system problems (such as the radio won't turn off with the ignition).

Using an adapter harness makes the wiring connections almost foolproof (just connect the same color wires - the translation of which wire goes where on the factory harness is all in the way the adapter harness is designed) and leaves the factory connectors undamaged. It also means you can make the connections with everything outside the car and just plug it in when done, so there's no problem of working in small spaces with limited slack on the factory wiring while making connections.

It's not that making direct connections to the factory wiring is really wrong... just that it's so much easier and better to use an adapter harness.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks many many many much!
I have the wiring adapter istalled but I dont know if the wire colours are ok to the original colors.
I've to ceck the colours of the wire, maybe the adapter wires are not in the right way.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html

Here I've find the colours.

I've to ceck the antenna too, because it comes up and down perfectli but it dont works good.
Maybe the antenna wire or the ISO connection?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

If you got the Metra #70-1858 adapter harness then you don't have to worry about the connections being incorrect. Just make sure you match the wire colors of the adapter harness to the Sony head unit harness and it should work fine.

If you're concerned, you can use the wire color listing in the Monsoon FAQ sticky to check. The listing shows the pin positions of the factory connector so you can confirm that the wires match. For example, the first two pins in the top row are for the left front speaker so check that your adapter harness has the white/black in the first position and the white in the second position to correspond to the gray and tan wires respectively in the factory wiring.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Whitebird I've both the connectors.

The ISO and the OEM.
The Iso Connector are on the original radio wires without cut is so i have 1 wire for two pin.

Understand me?

It is a good idea.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry no, I'm not following you. Which one wire is going to two pins?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sorry no, I'm not following you. Which one wire is going to two pins?
my original connector has wires to which the ISO connector wires have been bond without removing the original connector.

so, now I have two connectors.

It'is a good idea.

Quick Reply: '99 Camaro Radio