Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Milhouse box loss of bass when flipped up for t-tops

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Milhouse box loss of bass when flipped up for t-tops

Been enjoying the big bass from my box when it's firing into the trunk. However this summer is when I was taking the t-tops off a lot and I was getting kinda bummed out that the bass output was just not there when the box is flipped up pointing to the rear glass vs pointing to the trunk.

My woofer is the JL 12w3v3

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need Pics, I'm not fully understanding the change without seeing pics. Also with the T-Tops off your cabin gain is gone if any was there to begin with. Something called "Horn Effect" could be at play to depending where that subwoofer is exactly and you changed its location. Stealth boxes benefit greatly from horn effect in f-bodys.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Mill house box replaces the trunk flap. so t tops on flap stays up with sub pointing downward into the trunk, t tops off the box flips and lays on the flat portion of the trunk and the sub fires up towards the roof/ back glass. I have one, the box firing into the trunk sounds amazing and with the t tops still on and it flipped up it sounds pretty good, but it definitely looses a lot of punch with the t tops off.

any suggestions to circumvent this are gonna involve a larger box and losing your trunk honestly.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Mill house box replaces the trunk flap. so t tops on flap stays up with sub pointing downward into the trunk, t tops off the box flips and lays on the flat portion of the trunk and the sub fires up towards the roof/ back glass. I have one, the box firing into the trunk sounds amazing and with the t tops still on and it flipped up it sounds pretty good, but it definitely looses a lot of punch with the t tops off.

any suggestions to circumvent this are gonna involve a larger box and losing your trunk honestly.
This is exactly what I experience -- system sounds completely awesome when firing into the trunk, still sounds good when flipped up and t-tops still on, significant loss in output once the tops are off.

I'm gonna see how it sounds with the tops off and the box firing into the trunk. If I end up liking how that sounds, perhaps I may need to find a better way to store the t-tops....LOL

Also the box LOOKS awesome when firing into the trunk!

Old 10-28-2017, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a box built that sits behind the seats in front of the flap with 2 10”s, so they fire into the glass but not too far back. Sounds pretty good but nothing sounds like when you have the windows up and the t tops on the car.

Last edited by z28pat; 10-28-2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: SPell
Old 11-06-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

im actually curious to see how mine sounds now that I have put all the sound deading material in. I didnt do it for the stereo, but it can only help.

Quick Reply: Milhouse box loss of bass when flipped up for t-tops