Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Winding noise with high rpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winding noise with high rpms

So my car in the last month or two has started to make an odd noise, it’s a high pitched winding or whining noise and I can’t seem to figure it out. To give some insight, I have a high powered stereo in my car, two amps. I bought a high voltage Alternator to help with it from Hawks. Well, anytime the AC is on with the amps, I hear this noise. Whenever I turn the AC off and the Amps are still on, no noise. I remove the inline fuse for both amps and turn the AC on, no noise. I asked my father about it and he says it’s the alternator making the noise because I have a bad ground somewhere. I’m starting to believe it is and just want to confirm before I go through looking at all my grounds. Mainly because if it’s the grounds for my amps, it’s gonna take a lot of work to find them since I didn’t install the stereo system.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-eNXR2E...ion_guide.html
Old 09-27-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like that article points out, grounding is usually the problem.

It's not necessarily a "bad" ground, rather more is probably needed For example, instead of just using the ground wire from your radio harness, add a 2nd ground to the radio chassis and to the frame. Along with the amp(s), antenna, and such.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Winding noise with high rpms