Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Grease in monsoon amp connector?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Grease in monsoon amp connector?

So I've been having weird issues where my speakers will randomly go out, mainly my driver side front which barely ever works however i have noticed my passenger side front randomly go out ocassionally as well. I have also noticed other weird things like when i adjust the fader and balance to only the front driver side speaker the only speaker that makes sound is my rear right hatch speaker very faintly. Well anyway i went ahead and looked at my monsoon amp and noticed that the connector had some weird grease inside which is pictured below. Anyone know how i can clean this out or if it may be causing my issue?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Looks like standard dielectric connection grease to me.. Measure the resistance across it.. I'd bet the amp or the speakers are the core problem if its cutting out.. Speaker circuits usually don't have enough power in them to short across pins..

Mineral spirits will clean it off, then dry with a electric circuit cleaner de-greeaser.. I use a Tupperware container to contain the mess..
Old 10-13-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

As pdxmotorhead said, That's dielectric grease. It's actually put there to prevent corrosion so I would leave it. It's not likely your problem.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok thanks wasnt sure if it was dielectric grease or not...thinking its my amp since if i remember correctly it also did this when i had the stock speakers and head unit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grease in monsoon amp connector?