Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Android Auto - where to hide cellphone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Android Auto - where to hide cellphone?

I installed a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX in my '00 SS. Everything works fine, including the steering wheel controls (PAC-SW interface), but I am looking for a place to hide the cellphone when it is plugged into the head unit to run Android Auto. Here is what it looks like:

https://i.imgur.com/Sss1dHR.png

Right now I have a USB extension run into the center console and connect the phone in there, but the phone is not really protected, plus all the stuff that is usually in there (wheel lock key, air pressure gauge etc) had to go because I don't want it to damage the phone.

I've been considering a number of ideas, but I'd like to see if any of you has found a solution that works well.

Last edited by starfishy; 10-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of unconventional solutions: a longer USB cable through the door grommet into the map pocket in the door. That way when you forget the phone in your car (which you will do) it is also easy to retrieve it, and the space is narrow and easy to keep clear of debris.

2) Create some sort of mount or pocket under the center console lid The construction of the lid is pretty basic, so it shouldn't take much work to affix something (just don't use long pointy screws ).
Old 10-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I thought these could work with bluetooth and you could keep the phone in your pocket.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIP1
I thought these could work with bluetooth and you could keep the phone in your pocket.
Bluetooth works, yes, but to use the Android Auto functionality like google maps, pandora on screen, etc, it's got to be connected physically.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:10 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by BrittleSpeed
Bluetooth works, yes, but to use the Android Auto functionality like google maps, pandora on screen, etc, it's got to be connected physically.
Well my interest in Android Auto just disappeared.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is necessary to use USB to mirror the phone screen on a compatible head unit but there is another option that require only Bluetooth - you can run the Android Auto app directly on an Android device without the USB connection. That means you can run it on one of the aftermarket Android head units or on a phone or tablet that you put in a holder on your dash. Granted, it's not an ideal solution but it does give you access to voice commands without ever having to touch the screen - just say "OK Google".
Old 11-03-2017, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

On my 99 T/A, I simply slid my phone in the TCS hole (didn't have TCS). My 2000 doesn't give me that luxury.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It is necessary to use USB to mirror the phone screen
WiDi & Miracast are wireless.
I didn't realize Android Auto just mirrored the screen.
In which case, I figured it would use one of those technologies.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
WiDi & Miracast are wireless.
I didn't realize Android Auto just mirrored the screen.
In which case, I figured it would use one of those technologies.
Android Auto doesn't mirror the screen. It hooks up through USB. Generally, you would need HDMI or RCAs to mirror the screen.

Example of Android Auto

Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I need to plug my phone in for Pioneer app radio to mirror the screen for waze. I ran a usb from the back of the radio under the console and drilled a hole inside the arm rest area. The phone is hidden in the console or I can leave it on the front seat with some extra cable. I works for me, hope it helps.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by BrittleSpeed
Android Auto doesn't mirror the screen. It hooks up through USB. Generally, you would need HDMI or RCAs to mirror the screen.
We're splitting hairs here. Android Auto may not strictly mirror the phone screen but it basically allows the touch screen in the vehicle to control the phone through a simplified user interface which is broadcast by the Android Auto app on the phone.

And VIP1 is correct... technologies like MirrorLink and Miracast actually mirror the phone screen to another device (such as a vehicle screen) via WiFi, USB, and Bluetooth. MirrorLink uses the open source VNC protocol that has been popular on computers for remote desktop access for many years. No HDMI or RCA cables are necessary.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-08-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Android Auto - where to hide cellphone?