Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

car audio NEWB wiring question ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default car audio NEWB wiring question ....

hello ... ok so this is pretty dam basic lol just not to me ... just trying to determine how to connect the 2 wires to my dvc 2ohm sub ...ok so it's a dvc 2ohm - only 1 pos & neg coming from amp to speaker box to connect to the sub -- the sub blew --- didn't really pay attention when i unhooked the terminals. have a new sub now, but should i place the pos & neg on the same side to the same set of terminals, or place the pos to one set of terminals & the neg to the other set of terminals ? really really nice system/installation that came with the car (sons new 99' m6 ta). the amp that the sub is running off of is a diamond d6600.4 4 channel - at 2 ohms it puts out 150x4 rms, at 4 ohms bridged it puts out 300x2rms. i am assuming the other channel, if bridged, is pushing the sail panel replacements, as there is a diamond d6300.4 which it only makes sense is running the front door & rear hatch speakers. ...---so basically heck, with leaving the system as is, where should i place the pos & neg into the new sub, & will one way pull 2 ohms & one way pull 4 ?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure based off of your description, but it sounds like the D6600.4 is running in bridged mode 300x2 rms. One of those channels is going to your sail panel woofers and one is going to your DVC sub. Is that correct?

If it is, then you need a jumper wire to connect the positive of one set of terminals to the negative of the other set of terminals. Then you connect your positive line from amp to the remaining positive terminal and the negative line of your amp to the remaining negative terminal.
Attached Thumbnails car audio NEWB wiring question ....-1_2ohmdvc_4ohm.gif  
Old 10-26-2017, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

thank you ... that seems correct .... as i just connected pos to neg of the coil side that was not blown & it worked ! that was last night .... today the woofer stopped working. did just connecting it to the working side terminal with the blown side not capped/connected to anything blow the working side ?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SkWiDsTyLe321
thank you ... that seems correct .... as i just connected pos to neg of the coil side that was not blown & it worked ! that was last night .... today the woofer stopped working. did just connecting it to the working side terminal with the blown side not capped/connected to anything blow the working side ?
Again, not entirely clear with what you tried here. But if your old DVC 2ohm sub had one bad coil and you hooked up your amp to the remaining good 2ohm coil, then it is possible that your amp is damaged. In bridged mode, your amp is only rated for 4ohm loads. Placing a 2ohm load on the bridged channel can cause the damage as the amp is not rated for 2 ohm loads in bridged mode. Or the other thing that happened is the remaining voice coil on your sub burnt out which in this case would be the better scenario as it was already on it's way out.

All of the above is assuming the amp is running in bridged mode. In 4-channel mode, your amp can handle 2ohm loads without issue.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey your replies are really helpful thank you .... yes i'm assuming by what a nice/professional job was done it is bridged to 2 channels 1 running the sail panels & the other the sub, at 300rms at 4 ohms --- & it makes sense that that caused the sub taking power at 2 ohms to fry the voice coil.
... well i'm getting a cheap 4 ohm single coil to test my theory for now lol ... if that lasts beyond 2-3 days i'm figuring all else is fine.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

...as now remembering, the orig. dvc was wired up with a wire from 1 opposite neg to 1 opposite pos & the other neg & pos to the amp
Old 10-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

This makes sense. The factory subs in the sail panels were DVC 4 ohm woofers. If each individual woofer had the dual voice coils wired in series, they would be 8 ohms each. Put the two woofers in parallel on one amp channel and your amp would be happy seeing 4 ohms powering both sail panels on one bridged channel and seeing 4 ohms from the DVC 2 ohm sub on the other channel.

Knocking on wood that your amp was not damaged driving the 2 ohm load. The Diamonds are nice amps if they were from the batch still made in the states.

Quick Reply: car audio NEWB wiring question ....