Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgrading Keyless Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Keyless Fobs

I have an '01 SS Camaro. I was browsing ebay the other day and found several key fobs for sale, like the Corvette C6 fob. I am guessing that since these fobs are much newer, not to mention on a different car, that these fobs cannot be reprogrammed to our BCM receiver. Maybe I am wrong? If I am correct, is there a way to make these fobs compatible with our car receivers? Maybe switch out our receiver with one from a C6 or will this present a multitude of issues with other electronics on our BCM?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one thing I know about is the code chip having to be the same. Once they sync up the BCM and remote have to go through the same codes. That way they don't have to connect each time the buttons are pressed to stay sync'd. The BCM will accept any of the next like 20 codes from the last one it received and that way you can press the button say in your pocket while in the store and still open your car when you get to it. The newer ones likely have a much longer code with bigger list that they go through.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Keyless Fobs