Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Any advice on installing an air horn

Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Any advice on installing an air horn

This maybe touchy subject to some, but please just looking for help on a clean install .

I want to do the install so it has a separate button and what type of buttons, relays, connectors, gauge of wire to use.

Also where to install in a camaro so that trumpets and compressor and relays are safe from elements in a summer/spring only car.

thanks !:
Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Do you really need a train type horn with a tank or would the smaller tankless air horns work? I used to have a set of tankless air horns that are commonly used on big touring bikes like Gold Wings. You connect them to the standard horns with a relay so no separate switch is necessary. They are plenty loud when you lean on them but they have the advantage of taking a second or so to spool up the compressor so you still have the ability to give a short friendly toot when you don't need to blast someone's eardrums.

Rivco makes a set that have become the standard for compact air horns but they are quite expensive (over $200). They are waterproof (after all, they're normally mounted under the saddlebags) except for getting water into the trumpets themselves and there are accessory covers to help with blocking rain. I've had a set on my Wing for many years now and they still look and work like new.

There are also several dual-trumpet kits on Amazon which don't have the triple chrome finish and cost much less. If you mount them in front of the radiator pointing down, they will be mostly out of sight and not likely to be affected much by water.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for reply.

To answer your question , the horn kit that I have doesn’t have an air tank. It is three trumpets with a canister type of compressor.

I assume this is a compressor , size of a 12 oz soda can.
On the unit there are two locations where there two prongs on each side. One pair of prongs is for a low volume horn & other is high volume.

So I assume there’s a toggle switch that I can install if I want to choose between two volume settings.

How do I go about installing this if I want to remove stock “trumpets” and use this unit with the steering wheel horn?

Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I would not replace the factory horns with the air horns unless they are shot. The air horn compressor takes a moment to spin up pressure so there is a momentary delay after pressing the horn button before the air horns actually sound. If you install the air horns in parallel with the factory horns, you will get immediate response from the factory horns followed a moment later by the air horns. This has the advantage of quick response as well as the opportunity to not involve the air horns when all you need is a short toot instead of a long blast. And the combination of regular horns with air horns is very loud.

There are multiple ways it can be wired but I believe the following will be the simplest. You will need a Bosch-style 5-pin relay, any SPST switch (a basic On/Off switch), some wire and some connectors to install this. Where you install is determined only by the convenience of access to the wiring and where you mount the air horns.

The factory wiring goes through a relay in junction box #1 under the hood on the left fenderwell. There are two orange power wires from the HORN mini fuse in the same junction box that provide constant (battery) power to the relay. The black wire from the relay goes to ground through the horn switch in the steering wheel. The dark green wire is the output to the horns themselves.

You will use the switch to toggle between low volume and high volume on the air horns. Run ignition switched power to one terminal of the switch. Run a wire from the other switch terminal to wherever you mount the new relay. Connect your new relay as follows:

85: Chassis ground
86: Wire from your low/high switch
87A: Positive terminal of whichever pair of connections on the air horn compressor to be the default setting (low or high)
87: Positive terminal of the other pair of connections on the air horn compressor
30: Green wire anywhere between the factory horn relay and one of the factory horns. If you keep the factory horns then use something like a ScotchLock connector to tap into the green wire without cutting it. If you want to eliminate the factory horns then cut the green wire and connect the end coming from the horn relay.

Connect the remaining two terminals of the pairs on the compressor to chassis ground.

Now the air horns will sound when you press the steering wheel horn button. With the new switch off or when the ignition is off, they will sound whichever volume level you chose as the default (connected to 87A on the relay). With the ignition on and the new switch on, they will sound the other volume level. The ignition switched power source is used to prevent battery drain if you happened to leave your switch in the on position.

The factory circuit is protected by a 20A fuse which should be plenty to handle the addition of the air horn compressor (and certainly if you eliminate the factory horns). If it isn't, you will have to add a second relay between the green wire and terminal 30 of the first relay. That additional relay would be wired with its terminal 30 connected to a fused wire from the battery, terminal 87 connected to terminal 30 on the first relay, terminal 86 to the factory green wire and terminal 85 to chassis ground.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-13-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Just wanted to follow up with this.
White bird - thank you for perfectly clear directions and answer to my questions for a clean and effective install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any advice on installing an air horn