Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New double din wiring help for my son's 01TA

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New double din wiring help for my son's 01TA

I bought my son a PYLE head unit as seen in this video
. He has a 01' with a monsoon setup. I also purchased the bezel, antenna wire, and 1858 harness. We soldered everything up last night and while all of the wires on the 1858 harness matched up to the HU harness there were 4 wires on the HU harness that did not. They were Key1 & 2, AMP CONT, and PARKING.

The unit would not power on for me, so I contacted PYLE and the tech said the blue AMP CONT wire had to be connected to a switched 12V source. He recommended the cig lighter hot wire. While I'm sure that would be fine I wanted to get a consensus that it was the best thing to use? I did some searches and read about using the ACCY connection on the fuse box, but I'm not sure how to go about that the right way.

Also, what do I connect the parking wire to? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-28-2017, 12:29 AM
Teching In

I just spent 2 hours outside trying to get this unit powered up. Its 30 degrees outside and I'm very disappointed. I have connected the AMP CONT wire to a 12V switch connection and it still will not power on. I have 11.86 on the BATT wire, ACC+ wire, and the AMP CONT wire. I've contacted the seller about the problem. In the mean time the only thing I can figure is I have a bad ground. There were two ground wires on the PYLE harness and only one on the GM harness. I connected both to the GM harness ground. Shouldn't that have worked?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Key 1 and 2 should be for the steering wheel controls. So they shouldnt prevent the unit from powering up.

Parking is used for the DVD player. The unit wont play your DVD's unless it detects the parking brake is on. It can be bypassed and all, but that shouldnt prevent the unit from power up either.

Amp Cont, I assume is to switch on an external amplifier, if that's the case you dont want to connect it to a 12v source! Check you manual to be sure.

It's possible the unit might have been damaged with the Amp Cont wire, or just defective from the seller. Check for a blown fuse on the radio.

I ran my 2 ground wires: 1 Ground wire to the factory harness, and the 2nd Ground wire to the car chassis.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Thank you for that information. I ran the amp cont per the pyle tech's instruction, so I hope that didn't cause any issues. Tonight I decided to test the unit straight off the battery. I verified 12v at the battery and then in the harness, but it still did not power on. I'm sending this unit back. I'll let you know how the next install goes.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It would appear that Pyle tech support is as good as their head units (referred to as a Pyle of Crap). michaelfirehawk is correct... the AMP CONT wire is the external amplifier control wire - it provides a 12V signal to an aftermarket amplifier to turn the amp on and is not used on a Monsoon system (it should not be connected to a 12V source).
Old 12-31-2017, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Pyle stuff is junk. I replaced one in a boat for a guy that i put in for him brand new. It only last a few weeks.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the JVC (KW-V51BT) for a few years now and like it just fine, and works well, no issues.

I've always been a kenwood fan though, I'd like to change mind out one day for a loaded kenwood model - but cant bring myself to do it since the JVC is running perfectly.

Last edited by michaelhawk; 01-02-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: New double din wiring help for my son's 01TA