Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What type of ignition key does my 03 Chevy express have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default What type of ignition key does my 03 Chevy express have?

What type of ignition key does my 03 Chevy express have?

Just bought a 03 van it doesn’t come w/ keys it’s a impounded van bought on online auction.

I believe there are two different types of keys transponder/none transponder
Will the vin# 1GBFG15T931182427 reveal which type of key is needed.

can any locksmith cut a car key for 03 chevy express ignition/door
or is there only one key like my 02 express?

I believe the 03 is a none transponder.

I’m hopping this vans ignition isn’t like the VATS on my 99 Trans Am.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails What type of  ignition key does my 03 Chevy express have?-key.png  
Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it was an option on trucks. My 01 Silverado does not have it. I had to replace the ignition cylinder because it was locking up on me, and there was nothing to bypass. The door and ignition key should be the same. You can easily repin the door lock cylinder to match a new ignition key if you replace it.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that. You might try one of the GM truck specific forums, like gm-trucks.com/forums.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I doubt it's a chip key, I have an 01 and 03 Silverado, Also have a 03 Trail Blazer and none have a chip key. Locksmith will be able to cut you a key either way if the ignition is original.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I think it was an option on trucks. My 01 Silverado does not have it. I had to replace the ignition cylinder because it was locking up on me, and there was nothing to bypass. The door and ignition key should be the same. You can easily repin the door lock cylinder to match a new ignition key if you replace it.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that. You might try one of the GM truck specific forums, like gm-trucks.com/forums.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...44/#post351451

Stan van decoded vin says its "Key Single two sided", and "Theft-deterrent system, PASSLock".so I assume key is none transpoder?

I know moblie locksmiths have trip/travel fees maybe I could go to there
headquarters to save a couple $

curious average LS charges for a key. thanks

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I doubt it's a chip key, I have an 01 and 03 Silverado, Also have a 03 Trail Blazer and none have a chip key. Locksmith will be able to cut you a key either way if the ignition is original.
curious about the slowly blicking red LED on my 02 vans radio isnt that a theft deterent.thanks

still waiting for response about the strange radio of the 03 van in the other thread.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by badmfkr
curious about the slowly blicking red LED on my 02 vans radio isnt that a theft deterent.thanks.
They still have a factory alarm that is set with a keyfob, That's might be what you are seeing.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helppp

So I'm thinking about buying a 2002 camero V6 but it doesn't have a key . So my question is if I do buy how do I get a key can I get a new ignition switch what ???
Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by johnny wheeler
So I'm thinking about buying a 2002 camero V6 but it doesn't have a key . So my question is if I do buy how do I get a key can I get a new ignition switch what ???
Call a lock smith, I'm pretty sure they can make you a key without changing the ignition switch.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnny wheeler
lock smith has codes to duplicate ign.

however if this car has VATS burglary alarm key must come from dealer and they charge to program it

Quick Reply: What type of ignition key does my 03 Chevy express have?