Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Has anyone found a way to route a power cable through the firewallon the drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone found a way to route a power cable through the firewallon the drivers side

Adding a 10 in sub/amp in the cubby on the driver side trunk, but can't figure a way to route a power wire (8ga) to the Alt Batt terminal without crossing over the width of the car to run through the pass through under the ECM without drilling a new hole. I guess if I have to use the ECM pass through then I don't need to use the Alt Batt terminal - can go directly to the Battery.

I got the M6 so the clutch pass through is not an option for me.

did a pretty thorough search, but could only find the ECM pass through or clutch pass through suggestions. Surely someone has a good routing solution through the firewall on the driver side...
Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

my amp is somewhat in the middle of the trunk where the T-tops would be and I have the amp gauge wire running alongside the inner passenger chassis running underneath the plastic door cover and up alongside the passenger kick panel and through the hle where the pcm wiring harness is going. from there out along the engine bay fender and with inline fuse then battery positive.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Starting to look like I have to cross to the passenger side and run to the battery. Was hoping not to have to do that. Oh, well.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just drilled a hole for the wire and put a grommet in.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I just drilled a hole for the wire and put a grommet in.
​​​​​​
Yupp. That's my plan for tomorrow. I didn't like the power wire hook up prospects on the Battery. Gonna drill a hole on the driver side firewall. Seems to be plenty of real estate available to run the power wire if your willing to drill a new hole
Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just be careful when routing it that you don't let it get too close to the exhaust header. (oops)
Old 01-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Just be careful when routing it that you don't let it get too close to the exhaust header. (oops)
No problem. I was the Flight Test Engineer on many Propulsion tests and had to deal with hot exhaust issues, like on this project where I was part of the flight crew for this flight:
No... it's NOT photoshopped

Quick Reply: Has anyone found a way to route a power cable through the firewallon the drivers side