Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio & windows stop working when I hit window switch.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio & windows stop working when I hit window switch.

Okay so, I have an aftermarket radio. I know installed it properly as I've done this on my last TA, a camaro, pretty much every car I've had. The driver's side window motor has been replaced and was working just fine. After a while though I'll be driving, go to put my window down, or up... When I hit the power window switch the raido shuts off and the windows stop working. It's driving me ******* crazy. I just went to take it out for a ride and turned right around because I was so pissed off. This happens usually intermittently, but this time it happened right away. After the car sits for a while it works again, until it acts up....

Has anyone else experienced this? Please help before I take a sledgehammer to this car.

BTW car is a 99 TA, 6 spd, has 98K miles.

Last edited by BlackBirdLSOne; 02-12-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-12-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like you're pretty fucked budday!

Who replaced the window motor?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Teching In

I replaced it, and it was working fine. This problem just started. I've done a few F-body window motors. Looking to see if this has happened to anyone else
Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This is a very common problem that costs nothing to fix if you have any soldering skills. There are bad solder joints in the Body Control Module (BCM) that controls the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit which powers the radio and windows so that you can use them after turning off the ignition. The fix is in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks man. I'll be taking it out tomorrow. After reading the thread you linked I found a few videos on YouTube detailing the process.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Follow-up: you were right. Getting the BCM out of the car proved to be a bigger pain in the dick than actually fixing it. Once I got the BCM out of it's case it was easy to see where the old solder was no good. A quick dab, put it back together, turn the ignition on, raido, windows all working properly. Gave the BCM a good shaking just to make sure before fully reinstalling it and it works great. Problem solved. Weather is decent enough, so I'm about to take it out for a spin before putting it back away for the winter.

Cheers man!

Quick Reply: Radio & windows stop working when I hit window switch.