Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Push button start with VATS system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button start with VATS system?

When installing a push button start, would the VATS system still need to be activated, I.E. key in the on position to ensure the push button will work?
Old 03-02-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the BCM would still need to read the correct key pellet in order to start. I'm just speculating that the push button system you have will likely just activate your ignition power and jump the starter. The car would likely turn over but not run. You could bypass the VATS with a resistor and be good to go after that.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

I was just reading about the VATS bypass. I think I'm gonna do that this weekend, and put a hidden switch in the car to somewhat keep a "security" feature on it.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadyredeyes81
I was just reading about the VATS bypass. I think I'm gonna do that this weekend, and put a hidden switch in the car to somewhat keep a "security" feature on it.
I like that idea. I would bypass the VATS first before installing the push button to make sure the car starts fine with the new resistor.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are other things to consider as well... what will you do about the locking steering column? How will you prevent anyone from just getting in and driving off?

The purpose of push button start is the convenience of leaving your key fob in your pocket and still being able to operate the vehicle but that depends on the vehicle recognizing that the fob is in the car - something that 4th generation f-bodies aren't equipped to do. There are modules to do that but they cost around $400 plus installation. And you still have to bypass VATS and work around the steering lock.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I bought one of those autozone push button starts back in the day, still had to put the key in and go to switched ignition to use the button though.

it was cool for a while, but when i later did my swap and converted to a manual i didnt bother reinstalling it.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think I'm gonna use a push button start now. I don't mind still turning the key to fire up the car and unlock the steering wheel. I'm more worried about bypassing the security lockout of the VATS system. The hidden switch will be my new lockout feature.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want to do it so it’s secure and works like lot of new cars do, then you ll need a push button start with its own security. Advanced keys is the brand.

Theres even a thread about it on tech.
Someone installed it successfully.
Also vats is usually bypassed when you install an aftermarket alarm/keyless system/remotestart

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...y-like-c6.html
Old 03-12-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I forgot to say that even with advanced keys, you would have to disable the steering wheel lock.

Disable vats since this new unit will have its own security and by design wouldn’t let anyone into car to try the button.