Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Do I need an interface?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need an interface?

So I’ve hooked up my Clarion head unit in my 98 Camaro and it sounds ok but there is a lot LESS bass coming from the sail panel subs than there was with the stock HU. Sounds very unbalanced. I’ve had conflicting advice about using an interface. The one I was told I needed is PAC ROEM GM 21 but I emailed PAC and the guy says monsoon doesn’t need an interface. But he also said Chevy didn’t use monsoon, only Bose. Not sure he should be giving advice on this 🤔. Any advice is appreciated
Old 04-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

What radio did you remove? Bose, Monsoon, or AC Delco?

What wiring harness/adapter did you use or did you cut and splice? Double-check that everything is wired up correctly.

If you look by the spare tire do you see an amp?

Monsoon FAQ Sticky:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html
Old 04-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That PAC person was half right. You don't need an interface for any f-body Monsoon system since it uses a standard Delco head unit that outputs speaker level signal. However, Camaros only had Bose systems in the 94-96 models. The premium audio system in all 97-02 f-bodies was the Monsoon system.

Check your head unit for any settings that might affect bass output such a separate sub controls.