Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replace Headlight Bracket Spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace Headlight Bracket Spring

1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird

This isn't an electrical issue, but it's directly related to headlight so I figure I'd put it here. If you think I might get better exposure in another category, let me know or just move the topic if you're a moderator.

I have pictured below a headlight bracket that, together with a frame, holds in the headlight housing to the bucket. There are two alignment screws on the top and left (top right for high beams), and there is a spring in the bottom right corner (bottom left for high breams).

I seem to have misplaced the springs for two of the brackets. Has anyone ever found a replacement? If so, where and what size/part number? I feel like this spring is bent a specific way made just for the firebird headlight bracket to the bucket, so I'm not sure if Home Depot, etc. would have such a thing.
Attached Thumbnails Replace Headlight Bracket Spring-lights.jpg  

Last edited by Joeyofblades; 04-20-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Attached are pics of what the springs look like.
Attached Thumbnails Replace Headlight Bracket Spring-hl-sp1.jpg   Replace Headlight Bracket Spring-hl-sp2.jpg  
Old 04-20-2018, 05:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoot just realized this is for a 93-97 Firebird/TransAm
Old 04-20-2018, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, I forgot to mention year. 1998-2002 4th gen firebird. Ironically, I just ordered a few of these from someone who has a parts car, but I'm still curious as to buying replacements for these without going to a junkyard or happening upon a parts car.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The springs are listed only as included in the headlight assembly and not sold separately in the GM parts manual. There is nothing really special about those springs - they're just there to provide tension keeping the headlight in place while allowing the position to be changed while aiming. Any spring you can find that fits the ends and is strong enough to keep the headlight in place will suffice as a replacement.