Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

question on 4th gen Single Subwoofer Box Sealed Enclosur

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Talking question on 4th gen Single Subwoofer Box Sealed Enclosur

question on the driver/passenger enclosed subwoofer that's out on the market. I saw some that are under $100 and decent shipping costs. my question are there any fitment issues and where do you mount an amp? also any pics of them mounted in the vehicle is greatly appreciated. I tried googling for pics but only got the standard ad pics which are vague.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine...Driver side so I don't lose the spare tire. Winter project was to build and mount an amp board for the 2 amps and cross-overs.

As for fitting issues, all the driver side boxes I've seen stick up too high on the end near the tail lights. You can see in mine I trimmed that down so the plastic panel fits like t's supposed to.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the pic!. are the 2 cross-overs the ones above the amp that's bolted to the rear of the chassis?

edit-is it possible that there's room to amount the amp, pending size behind the enclosure?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fst100
thanks for the pic!. are the 2 cross-overs the ones above the amp that's bolted to the rear of the chassis?

edit-is it possible that there's room to amount the amp, pending size behind the enclosure?
That bolt mounts the board to the chassis, if that's what you mean.
Check out the "Pontiac Firebird" forum, thread "what did you do to your bird today", I posted more pictures if it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...today-173.html

There is space below the enclosure, not behind, not above, and not on the sides. But I would put the amp there. Water drains down into that well.

What you could do is mount the amp under the hatch panel. There is room next to the hatch speakers for it. I had it there for a while before building the entire board.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm I am stereo and audio illiterate, so please bare with me. I'm guessing the crossovers are the 4 small rectangular pieces? you have 2 amps? could you elaborate on " room next to the hatch speakers for it" as to where that is please? are you talking about the flat area where the fuel pump assembly lies underneath or behind the hatch speakers/plastic cover?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fst100
hmm I am stereo and audio illiterate, so please bare with me. I'm guessing the crossovers are the 4 small rectangular pieces? you have 2 amps? could you elaborate on " room next to the hatch speakers for it" as to where that is please? are you talking about the flat area where the fuel pump assembly lies underneath or behind the hatch speakers/plastic cover?
Yes, 2 Amps = a 4-way for Front & Rear speaker pairs, and a mono-amp for the sub-woofer.
Yes, the 4 crossovers separate the mid and high' for each pair of speakers.

The "Hatch speakers": Remove that interior plastic panel, and you'll see room behind it to tuck and hide the amp. At the time I hide mine under the pass side panel, even more room on that side of the car.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

great thanks for the tips!
Old 05-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought one as well and am waiting to install it. apparently the amp that i already have is not have subwoofer compatible? so i either have to run the sub directly to the head unit or get a new amp. i don't know anything about audio either so I'm learning.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like i will have to cut the plastic trim to fit the enclosure in the area correct?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Not on the left (driver's) side. There is already an opening there which would be occupied by the factory external CD changer option (it would have to be removed if you have one). The sub enclosure (usually called a "stealth" enclosure) fits in that opening without modification. Putting a sub enclosure on the other side would involve cutting the plastic trim panel as well as ditching the spare tire.

Installing an amp under the trim panel may or may not involve some modification depending on the size of the amp. The factory Monsoon amp is under the right side so it can be done if the amp isn't too big. Keep in mind that amps need to run cool so airflow could be a problem for some amps. A 12V computer fan can be a great addition in those cases.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys. I placed an order for the passenger side enclosure. looks like i'll have to cut and trim the passenger side hatch panel. the spare tire's been out of the car for a while now. i'll have ot figure out how and where to drill holes to mount the amp to the chassis from moving around. it's a autozone offbrand but has worked flawlessly for years. it's a decent size too unfortunately.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Maybe the amp will fit in the left side cubby space since you won't be putting the stealth box there? That would solve both the location and air flow problem since it's open space.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's possible but i'll have to see about wire length and such. I currently have a big *** ghetto subwoofer in there now that sits snuggly where you would rest the T-tops in and the amp's bolted to the box itself on top. the box was from my previous vehicle which was in a grand prix wbody.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Wasn't there a factory sub on the drivers side in lt cars?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Only on 93-96 Camaros with the Bose system. 93-96 Firebirds with the premium audio option and 97+ f-bodies with Monsoon systems had "subs" (actually mid-bass) in the sail panels.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I ran. Only one sub but it did need its own amp.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssjason232
Here is what I ran. Only one sub but it did need its own amp.

That's a real nice amp shroud. You make yourself, out of abs i assume?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice layout ssjason23. I ended up getting the subwoofer box for the passenger side and also bolted up my existing amp on there. I cut and hacked the area using shears lol. isn't the smoothest cuts but it got the job done lol.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, forgot to subscribe, lol. Yea, I cut the panel on the passenger side to fit the amp. It was actually a ton more work then it looks like because I had to make mounts for the amp and get the angle if it correct.

I also bought some edge guarding that typically goes on doors to wrap the opening of where I cut out for the amp. This made the cut lines disappear and look clean.

Im also running Kee audio speakers (stage 3 IIRC) and personally I think they sound “meh”. I find they break up at higher volume.

Could be me and how I installed them, but I followed the instructions every step of the way. When I do it again I’ll get some brand name speakers and a new amp to run them.

Not much of an audio geek, just wanted decent sound.