Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Does this look like a decent radio/NAV head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of these questions with exception can be easily answered by RTM as they say. As for the "sound quality" these folks have been around for almost 100 yrs. and I've never heard a bad punkt. I would sprint for any factory to unit adapter cable though, just so all the cabling remains stock. Certainly cheap enough!
Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad I didn't get around to sending the Blaupunkt back, recieved the andriod what a complete turd it was extremely lightweight as if it's case where empty it did come w/ the side mount bracket but the where to cheap to include the 2 screws that where supposed to be included. didn't bother even connecting.

so I'll be attempting again to connect the blaupunkt ?1.the pink single wire from the Blaupunkt labled back car control is that for reverse output on the pac4?

?2.I'm assumming the 3.5" plug for steering wheel control is only used for real radios, and since the Blaupunkt I have doesn't have the plug I use the single blue wire however the Blaupunkt has grey wire labled steering wheel control1 and a green wire labled steering wheel control 2?

?3.confussed on pac4 purple/white vehical speed output the wire labled blaupunkt has a purple/black stripe labled FCCD.

?4.I assume all the male RCA and all the speaker wires from pac 4 are unconnected ?

?5.confussed on blaupunkt wire brown wire brake detect could this also be reverse output?

Thanks for advice

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-04-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good, I'm glad that worked out for you. That 3.5 looks like an antenna connection to me that does plug into the HU. I "think" the chimes have a different connector, not sure though. I've been looking at the DDIN "carputers" myself for the last couple of years for my Marquis, Ain't this fun...! Just take your time, do your research and the install proper. The good folks here who have already been down the road are always happy to help. Try to find the cable conversion "kit". Well worth the effort, especially if you ever need to get back into it or decide to sell. Pop the original HU back in and off you go, or add it to the overall value of the sale... You'll probably want a new toy anyway and be going through this again. It never ends. LOL
Old 06-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I'm glad I didn't get around to sending the Blaupunkt back, recieved the andriod what a complete turd it was extremely lightweight as if it's case where empty it did come w/ the side mount bracket but the where to cheap to include the 2 screws that where supposed to be included. didn't bother even connecting.

so I'll be attempting again to connect the blaupunkt ?1.the pink single wire from the Blaupunkt labled back car control is that for reverse output on the pac4?

?2.I'm assumming the 3.5" plug for steering wheel control is only used for real radios, and since the Blaupunkt I have doesn't have the plug I use the single blue wire however the Blaupunkt has grey wire labled steering wheel control1 and a green wire labled steering wheel control 2?

?3.confussed on pac4 purple/white vehical speed output the wire labled blaupunkt has a purple/black stripe labled FCCD.

?4.I assume all the male RCA and all the speaker wires from pac 4 are unconnected ?

?5.confussed on blaupunkt wire brown wire brake detect could this also be reverse output?

Thanks for advice
1. The pink wire of the HU connects to the green wire of the PAC adapter. This is to provide a signal to turn on the backup camera when the backup lights go on.
2. One of the gray or green wires from the HU connects to the blue/yellow wire of the PAC adapter. There is no documentation on which one to use so you'll just have to experiment. This provides steering wheel control of the HU.
3. The purple/white wire from the PAC adapter is to provide vehicle speed information for units that use it (automatic or speed sensitive volume control). The Blaupunkt doesn't have that feature so leave it unconnected. The purple/black wire from the HU is unrelated - it is the right rear speaker negative connection.
4. The RCAs are unused unless you're installing an aftermarket amplifier but the speaker wires must be connected to the corresponding adapter wires, otherwise you'll have no sound output. That's the white & white/black, gray & gray/black, green & green/black, and purple & purple/black wires.
5. The brown wire of the HU connects to the red/white wire of the adapter. This provides the parking brake signal to restrict certain functions such as watching video unless the parking brake is engaged.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

excellent information I definitely can use, I jumped the gun yesterday still have no sound I thinking because there is no place to connect speaker wires.
or am I missing something completely?

good news is the display is turned on.touch screen works I probably could use a tablet pointer for more acute typing.
I typed Destin FL it came up w/ Decatur AL I think this NAVs small coax antenna wire will need a snug w/ a small wrench or pliers right now it's hand snug, not 100% tight tight.

able to tune AM/FM radio I really like finger touch tuning/switch to NAV kindof clunkie GUI but works

additionally I'm not even sure if it's configured correctly doesn't the blue box blick a quienes of whats its set at?
edit: yes the chimes audio works better than original w/ door open and key on ACCY. it quits after about ten beeps.
edit2:steering wheel control as is none functionale currently connected to steering wheel control1 will switch to steering wheel control2.

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-05-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry, I wasn't aware that your system includes a factory amplifier. In that case, the RCA cables should be connected to the new head unit to provide audio output. I couldn't find any information on PAC's choice of colors but the standard coloring is white = left front and red = right front. The other two are anyone's guess. Blue and green RCAs used in audio generally mean left surround and front center respectively but that doesn't apply to 4-channel sound. I would start with blue = left rear and green = right rear and then switch them if it's backwards - you have a 50/50 chance of it being correct.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update I was able to get front left audio after pluging in the white RCA into front left.

Whenever I plugged in anyother RCA into front right the lower red HU wouldn’t power up. It will only power up w/ the white RCA.

Attach image of the three other RCA and where I have the white plugged in.

I messed aroud a few times then the HU seamed like it didn’t want to power up again hope it’s not fried.

HU fuse good.

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-05-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, I found out that the PAC adapter colors are based on the standard industry speaker wiring colors. That means that white is left front, gray is right front, green is left rear and purple is right rear. The connectors do double duty. If you have a factory amplified system (like a Bose system) then you use the RCA plugs to connect to the head unit. If you don't have a factory amplified system then you cut the RCA plugs off the wires and use the pairs of wires to connect to the corresponding speaker output wires on the new head unit.

The RCA jacks to use are the ones around the white RCA you plugged in. The red one below it (labeled FR) is front right so it gets the gray plug. The white one next to it (labeled RL) is rear left so it gets the green plug and the red one below that (labeled RR) is rear right so it gets the purple plug.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I connected as you advised good news is I now have right front and left front and probablly the rears not sure where the rears are located.

bad news is theres a huge/unacceptable amount of hiss even at low volume.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hiss or buzz is a bad ground. You need to find all the grounds and make sure they're tight and clean. Some steroes have a chassis ground that can be a bit iffy after being shipped around the world.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK I'll check for ground tightness.

I believe chassis ground for radio is acchivfed when bolting side brackets to car body thus reduce/eliminate hiss. currently radio isn't secured to car body.

Can I attach chassis ground wire myself for extra nosie reduction?

The speakers sound awesome for OEM.

edit:which port to connect backup camera video1 so I can display even when driving.

see I want a second camera mounted behind boat view.

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-06-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

still haven't got around to rewiring the PAC steering wheel from steering wheel one to steering wheel two so still don't have steering wheel control and still have the buzzing sound even when I roll a window down the noise is transmitted though this turd.
Whitebird I appreciate you when you initially wrote you will be disappointed however why didn't you talk me outtof this HU harder? my bad I'm just hard headed I guess plus I don't really plan to drive this SUV much.

I answered a Amazon customer? here which is 100% true
this radio is garbage, it tunes directly over the known very strong FM stations very difficult to tune. in fairness the USB MP3 actually plays it's sound quality is fair then when listening to MP3 files (can't play FM w/ a flash drive inserted it must be removed.

however I made the mistake to try out the NAV that can't be turned off/exit/cancel if the car is moving all you will hear is the broke down NAV interrupting you'r music either FM or MP3 w/ a recording of you are over the speed limit (even when you are at the speed limit)every 5 seconds I find myself talking back to the Blaupunkt saying you are ruining my tunes.
the build quality is very cheap the volume **** feels like it will break if you turn it same w/ the other hard buttons.

you will find yourself spending alot more time than intended on using the GUI so you will be distracted trying to get tunes, to the point of driving off the road, only touch this turd if the car is stopped.

if not buying from Amazone make sure you read and understand the return policy of the 3rd party seller basically if you connect it you bought a piece of junk that can't be returned.

Amazone is a great place to buy they where going to force the 3rd party to refund I however I misplaced the silly remote control so I couldn't return all that was included so I couldn't send back. I got what I paid for garbage I wish I spent more on a decent unit.

I needed a radio for my tow vehicle SUV on my 4 hour one way trips this radio makes me hate the SUV so I'm selling the SUV.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

update around the end of July the radio developed a very loud buzz noise though speakers this buzz started as the hiss,between the GPSs audio warnings every 5 seconds and the buzz I haven't turned it on since.

I haven't read though the Amazon insurance policy so I assume they just replace w/ same or better. I've actually been waiting for this model to get sold out hopefully there's 3 other idiots like me because since July thats how many Blaupunkt portlands are on the Amazon self probably to never sell.

I recently bought a entry level Clairon single din marine radio that I'm having reservations on installing in boat.

I would like to install in the SUV in place of the Blaupunkt.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

finalley got a chance to send this TURD back!

I’ve had trouble w/ this radio draining the battery and have been waiting for them to sell out before I return for a none Chinese replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721T83D6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721T83D6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m not sure how the insurance will take care of the return, would be nice if I could pay extra for a decent radio w/ NAV and USB plug.

If the insurance allowed me to pay extra please recommend a decent model of previously suggested Pioneer/Sony replacement not to fancy where my window gets broke but not bottom of line.

been fixing up the 97x sorting out a bunch of small minor stuff working radio /NAV would be much needed Thanks
Old 03-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You're not going to find a major brand name double DIN head unit with navigation for less than $350 - $400 (they go way up from there). Pioneer and Sony would be decent choices but I prefer Kenwood when it comes to navigation because they use Garmin. Pioneer has the best FM radio tuner. Beyond that, it's really just a question of what features you want and can afford. Any of them will give you good results.

You can get Jensen navigation units for about $100 less. They're rather average quality but certainly better than Boss, Pyle or Blaupunkt.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update: the devils that sold me the radio are eventdently along w/ Amazone are off the hook after 30 days.

I filled a claim w/ allstate they said there insurance is effective after first year, I never buy this crap ins. So I don’t know if this is business as usual. Allstate say contact manufacturer.

I emailed blaupunt and there email was returned unknown sender. I don’t even want to attempt them fixing this turd because I’ve read a review that a Guy sent back same POS radio 3 times and it was never fixed.

Amazone suggested that I wait till the after the one year purchase date then file another claim then.

What do you Guy’s think?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should cut your losses and buy something that's from a more reputable company
Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

get a Pioneer and throw the Blowchunks in the garbage
Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep... a Pioneer with their SmartSync app on your phone and you can control almost every function from your phone. Love mine.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm now concidering seperate NAV I have a clarion single dem that I want swap in for the junkie blaupoo. but won't a single dem look cheap in a much larger spot?