Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Have modern infotanment systems rendered the aftermarket head units obsolete?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have modern infotanment systems rendered the aftermarket head units obsolete?

Noticed this when looking at used cars. Not a lot of aftermarket headunits these days.

Am I missing something? On a lark I decided to visit the old crutchfield site and not a lot of headunits fit modern cars.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Significant number of them are now so integrated in to the car that replacing them is a labor of love,, huge amount of work and $$... You can literally end up replacing the ECU (Standalone) to get the engine to run, or things like the headlights don't work without them.. Or the heater,cruise control, wipers its endless..
Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daily is a Toyota Tundra with the JBL system....

I used to tinker with car audio back in my high school/college days, but I couldn’t imagine touching the Tundra. The sound is great as is, and the factory look is clean.

The head unit is showing its age, and I did start browsing options: but honestly nothing out there is appealing VS the factory setup (even though the navigation is useless this day and age).

First: I’m a sucker for tactile buttons, and the aftermarket companies are too concerned with putting in a bigger screens with smaller/fewer buttons (why are dials the enemy?!)

second: tons of vehicle features are run through headunits these days. Settings, maintenance reminders, climate control in some, even backup cameras... I know the maestro is supposed to retain most of those features: but how well and how reliable is it?

Alpine makes vehicle specific units: but they cost way too much to even consider.

I feel once Android auto or CarPlay become widely adopted by manufacturers, aftermarket headunits will be a dead industry in just a few years: sure there’ll be a market for sound processors to modify the sound after the headunit, but with such integrated systems it’ll be difficult for aftermarket to keep relevant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have modern infotanment systems rendered the aftermarket head units obsolete?