Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Troubleshooting stereo wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting stereo wiring harness

what do you do if my 2002 Chevrolet Camaro has 2 dark blue,2 brown,2 light yellow,and 2 grey wires in the car stereo wire harness
Old 06-22-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Check close for a thin stripe on the wires. Usually you'll have 2 wires the exact same color but 1 will have a thin grey/white/beige stripe. Sometimes the stripe is hard to see unless you are looking deeper into the loom.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marla
what do you do if my 2002 Chevrolet Camaro has 2 dark blue,2 brown,2 light yellow,and 2 grey wires in the car stereo wire harness
Any way you can post a pic the harness? I've done radios in countless GM vehicles and have never witnessed this.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That looks like the factory harness has been butchered rather than using a proper harness adapter to make it plug-and-play. The factory harness has multiple wires of the same color which can only be distinguished by their position in the connector. For example, there's a brown for dash light power and a brown for left rear speaker positive. You can find all the wire colors and their connector pin positions in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting stereo wiring harness