Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Electrical Noise through aftermarket stereo MIC - already replaced 3 times

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Electrical Noise through aftermarket stereo MIC - already replaced 3 times

99 Z28

I have a stereo that allows me to make bluetooth calls, this stereo also has an external microphone with a 3.5mm TTRS jack that goes into the back of the stereo. I've located the microphone in many different places but get similar results. Here is what is happening:

Engine OFF - ACC ON: Stereo and bluetooth calls work perfectly -- The party on the other side can hear me and I can hear them without issues on either side.
Engine ON: The party I am callng states they can hear me fine but also notice some noise in the line.
Car Accelerating: At speeds as low as 3 MPH, my voice quality QUICKLY diminishes..and I mean to the point where I am unrecognizable to the other party by the time I am at 10 MPH. They complain to hear alot of background noise / feedback -- windows are up, no A/C on, car barely moving. I can still hear them fine.
Car in Nuetral while coasting RPMS at idle: Eliminating RPM issues or possible Alternator issues: The other party explains there is no difference regardless of the car is in nuetral or not as long as I'm moving. I am still unrecognizable

Its seeming like somehow noise is being introduced into the system and its dependent on my speed rather than my RPM...but can't be sure...either way I was told to check my grounds...which I don't even know where to begin. Not sure where the stereo grounds or if I even need to check that. I am not getting poor radio or music playback quality either.

Any idea?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like a ground is loop causing feedback. Add some ground feeds to the ground lead off the head unit and some other various places around the car and it should clear up.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Sounds like a ground is loop causing feedback. Add some ground feeds to the ground lead off the head unit and some other various places around the car and it should clear up.
Hi, thanks - I was thinking of doing this. So I will just solder in another ground wire or two and lead to another ground? Should I avoid existing grounding points in the car?
Old 08-07-2018, 11:14 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Usually that works but you are chasing a frequency that is not running harmoniously through the chassis which serves as a floating ground. Sometimes you need to add noise cancellation/suppressors as well. They can be a pain to remedy because its all but impossible to source the trouble area. I'd say I've been 50/50 with some ground reworks and even with the suppressors added occasionally there was still some feedback. Played with a lot of 80's car radios.... common issue
Old 08-10-2018, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Usually that works but you are chasing a frequency that is not running harmoniously through the chassis which serves as a floating ground. Sometimes you need to add noise cancellation/suppressors as well. They can be a pain to remedy because its all but impossible to source the trouble area. I'd say I've been 50/50 with some ground reworks and even with the suppressors added occasionally there was still some feedback. Played with a lot of 80's car radios.... common issue
I took a wire and attached it to the metal case of the head unit and then ran it to the prong that the bolt for the center console bolts to (I've beenable to use this as a ground before) unfortunately, no change..

What kind of noise cancellation / suppressors would you recommend?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:30 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Do a search for "ground loop isolator" or Suppressor and you will find lots. They have versions for microphones too which could be where the problem is its a process of elimination in my experience. If all else fails sometimes an alternator change does the trick. Running the ground feed off the head unit ( not the chassis the ground wire from the radio) and connecting it to the same place as the battery terminal ground on the engine block sometimes does it. The suppressors are low buck, best buy walmart etc all should have these, amzwn eyyybay etz
Old 08-11-2018, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Do a search for "ground loop isolator" or Suppressor and you will find lots. They have versions for microphones too which could be where the problem is its a process of elimination in my experience. If all else fails sometimes an alternator change does the trick. Running the ground feed off the head unit ( not the chassis the ground wire from the radio) and connecting it to the same place as the battery terminal ground on the engine block sometimes does it. The suppressors are low buck, best buy walmart etc all should have these, amzwn eyyybay etz
I went and grounded directly to the battery, no change at all.

There WAS a slight improvement after disconnecting my radio antenna but not enough of one.

Im going to try a ground loop isolator first, if that fails, then a suppressor.