Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Driver's side power window died and is stuck down, quick solution?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side power window died and is stuck down, quick solution?

The window was working perfectly, it was powerful and never gave me any kind of issues. This afternoon I had my window almost all the way down, then when I tried closing it, completely dead...no sound, nothing. I came back about an hour later and it moved up literally an inch, then it suddenly cut out again. I try again a couple hours later and it moved maybe a 1/4 inch, so this is getting me nowhere. The passenger window still works the same as it always had. I've seen multiple threads about this and I'm going to try a new switch and then the motor if that doesn't work. My question is, is there any possible way I can get this damn window to go up in the meantime? I don't have time to be taking the damn thing apart over the next several days and I don't want to keep it parked in public with the window open while I'm at work. I don't care if it doesn't open again right now, I just need it closed for security and convenience purposes. I even tried hitting the door while holding the button and it did absolutely nothing. Is there any possible way to manually close this window?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If you really suspect the window switch (it's doubtful that the switch is the cause), you can bypass it by simply pulling it out of the door panel and applying power to the dark blue wire (you have to remove the dark blue wire from the switch connection or it will short to ground). That will make the window go up if the motor is okay and the regulator isn't binding. Since the motor is the most likely source of the problem, there's not much point in trying to work around that. You could get in there and disconnect the motor from the regulator in order to manually raise the window but at that point you might as well just replace the motor - it's about the same amount of work.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you really suspect the window switch (it's doubtful that the switch is the cause), you can bypass it by simply pulling it out of the door panel and applying power to the dark blue wire (you have to remove the dark blue wire from the switch connection or it will short to ground). That will make the window go up if the motor is okay and the regulator isn't binding. Since the motor is the most likely source of the problem, there's not much point in trying to work around that. You could get in there and disconnect the motor from the regulator in order to manually raise the window but at that point you might as well just replace the motor - it's about the same amount of work.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not good with wires at all, I usually avoid anything electrical like that altogether, I'll probably somehow screw it up. I'll just have to wait i guess, I should be getting the switch tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll have to find the time to throw in a new motor.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you've probably already gotten your window closed, but when I had similar symptoms I got it to close by pulling up on the window with one hand while pressing the button to close the window with the door open. This relives the stress on the window motor, preventing the thermal shutdown circuitry inside the motor from triggering. That's usually a telling sign the motor is shot (moving up an inch and stopping for a while until it cools down enough to move up another inch).

good luck, lots of good articles and how-to's for window motor replacement out there. I ultimately used this oldie for a guide http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html but used a new doorman window motor (updated design that supposedly fixes the overheated thermal switch issue in the OEM design). Mine's been working great since replacing 5 or 6 years ago (driver side) .
Old 08-18-2018, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zfastss
you've probably already gotten your window closed, but when I had similar symptoms I got it to close by pulling up on the window with one hand while pressing the button to close the window with the door open. This relives the stress on the window motor, preventing the thermal shutdown circuitry inside the motor from triggering. That's usually a telling sign the motor is shot (moving up an inch and stopping for a while until it cools down enough to move up another inch).
I was going to respond with the exact same suggestion. When my window motor started to go on the driver's side, the ONLY SHORT TERM REMEDY was to tug, yank, and pull on the window while simultaneously holding down the button to roll it up. There are plenty of videos on youtube for how to replace the window motor, and such videos help me gain the confidence to do work on my own car when I doubt my abilities. It saves me money and I know the job was done well after the deed is done.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zfastss

good luck, lots of good articles and how-to's for window motor replacement out there. I ultimately used this oldie for a guide http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html but used a new doorman window motor (updated design that supposedly fixes the overheated thermal switch issue in the OEM design). Mine's been working great since replacing 5 or 6 years ago (driver side) .
Yes, I was able to get it done on Saturday late at night. I did try that method, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. The motor was actually completely dead, it wouldn't even work when I removed it from the car. I never heard of one dying so abruptly like that before. I just hope this new motor lasts a very long time. Too bad Doorman stopped making the improved window motor, I had to buy the same flawed design again.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00-Z28
Yes, I was able to get it done on Saturday late at night. I did try that method, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. The motor was actually completely dead, it wouldn't even work when I removed it from the car. I never heard of one dying so abruptly like that before. I just hope this new motor lasts a very long time. Too bad Doorman stopped making the improved window motor, I had to buy the same flawed design again.
I am sorry the tug method didn't work for you. My motor was still working but it needed the assist until I replaced it. Even though you may not be happy with the new replacement, as long as your window works like it should, what more can you ask for? I hope your motor lasts a long time too, however, I notice now that replacement parts seem to be designed with an intentional expiration. These original equipment remanufacturing companies are out to ensure they are making a profit to stay in business as well. In the grand scheme of things, it is always cheaper than buying a new car and honestly, what new car would give you the satisfaction that your f-body currently gives you? For me, the new Zeta body Camaro will never hold a candle to my curvy Trans Am with her F-body, the design inspired by the female body in the mid-1980s and perhaps a body shape that will be the closest in style to what the Corvette body shape is, sleek and sexy!

Unknown GM concept drawings Firebird/Trans AM 1980s
Old 08-23-2018, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I am sorry the tug method didn't work for you. My motor was still working but it needed the assist until I replaced it. Even though you may not be happy with the new replacement, as long as your window works like it should, what more can you ask for? I hope your motor lasts a long time too, however, I notice now that replacement parts seem to be designed with an intentional expiration. These original equipment remanufacturing companies are out to ensure they are making a profit to stay in business as well. In the grand scheme of things, it is always cheaper than buying a new car and honestly, what new car would give you the satisfaction that your f-body currently gives you? For me, the new Zeta body Camaro will never hold a candle to my curvy Trans Am with her F-body, the design inspired by the female body in the mid-1980s and perhaps a body shape that will be the closest in style to what the Corvette body shape is, sleek and sexy!
I agree that companies are always putting out low quality products which are not made to last because they want you to keep on buying new ones. However, the window motor comes with a lifetime warranty, so wouldn't it be more cost effective for Doorman to make the more expensive design that is proven to work rather than to keep replacing the low quality part under warranty? I could never get rid of my car, not only do I prefer the 4th gen styling as you do, but it also has a lot of sentimental value now with all the time and work I put into it. I also don't like all the technology in the new cars, I prefer to keep things simple. It's easy to make our cars fast too. I'd rather drop $6k on a supercharger if I want more power over buying a new car.

Search this Thread