Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 Trans Am Monsoon stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am Monsoon stereo question

I have a 2002 SLP Firehawk Trans Am, It has the 10 speaker Monsoon system. The car has been garage kept from day one with very low miles just a tick over 5000 now. Drove it the other day to get my VA state inspection and found out that my two rear seat speakers sound like they are blown. I removed both and tested on my garage stereo and they sounded fine. I believe they are dual voice coil subs at 6.5”. Could it be the channel in the amp that went bad? Any ideas? Or other tests to determine the problem?

The car is 100% factory stock and I would like to keep it that way

Thanks,Troy.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twhit
I have a 2002 SLP Firehawk Trans Am, It has the 10 speaker Monsoon system. The car has been garage kept from day one with very low miles just a tick over 5000 now. Drove it the other day to get my VA state inspection and found out that my two rear seat speakers sound like they are blown. I removed both and tested on my garage stereo and they sounded fine. I believe they are dual voice coil subs at 6.5”. Could it be the channel in the amp that went bad? Any ideas? Or other tests to determine the problem?

The car is 100% factory stock and I would like to keep it that way

Thanks,Troy.
Are these the original Delco speakers that came with the car? If they are the Delco speakers then chances are they are failing but not necessarily blown. I would find myself having to replace those same speakers often because the NOS supply was aged and the Delco speakers used paper backing for the speakers which fails with age so the speakers would sound like they were torn or the bass was high pitched in sound if that makes sense.

I am not sure if what I am giving as an example is what you are experiencing but I would lean towards your paper backing finally having aged out and torn itself despite garaging your car. What can be done? As far as I know the NOS stock of Delco speakers ran out and Delco don't make those speakers anymore that I am aware of. Your best bet is to upgrade those speakers to a synthetic material that won't wear out as quickly as the paper the Delco speakers used. There is a vendor on here who has specific kits for our monsoon system f-bodies, Kee Audio.

I hope my two cents is helpful to you...

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 08-24-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: I can edit too and Kee Audio was a vendor on this site, not that I am soliciting business, just trying to help a member here.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:24 PM
Teching In

The good thing is that a good set of aftermarket coaxials will fit with no modifications Wait until your door speakers go out. Now talk about a PITA. I went with the Infiniti 62.11l because they are 2ohm just like the factory speakers. They will give you a 100% improvement over factory and you do not have to cut any wires to install them. No crimping and no soldering. Just remove the old speakers, trim back your red and black wires and insert into the terminals on the speaker. Red to positive and black to negative.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unfortunately, coaxial speakers in the doors give up half the available power because the original speakers are components with separate amp channels powering the mids and the tweeters. And they're even worse in the sail panels - not only are you giving up half the power of the factory dual voice coils but the signal there is low pass filtered by the amp (for the factory subs mounted there) so a mid-range coaxial will sound like crap with little bass.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Unfortunately, coaxial speakers in the doors give up half the available power because the original speakers are components with separate amp channels powering the mids and the tweeters. And they're even worse in the sail panels - not only are you giving up half the power of the factory dual voice coils but the signal there is low pass filtered by the amp (for the factory subs mounted there) so a mid-range coaxial will sound like crap with little bass.
You seem to know more about this than most. Not to hijack his thread but does the amp for the front speakers have a built in crossover or the tweeter?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by fordication
You seem to know more about this than most. Not to hijack his thread but does the amp for the front speakers have a built in crossover or the tweeter?
In a Camaro, the Monsoon amp has built-in high pass filters for the tweeter channels. In a Firebird, the tweeters are powered by the head unit rather than the amp so there are inline passive filters in the wiring to the tweeters. Those filters are close to the tweeters and are easily accessible but are not prone to failure so they usually can be retained even when switching to aftermarket speakers.