Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Phase, LPF and HPF settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Phase, LPF and HPF settings

Been trying a few settings for my system for quite some time. HU is Kenwood KDC-BT952HD, great unit! Front speakers are Kenwood 6 1/2 components from 2001-2002, rears are matching 6 1/2 coaxials also from 2001-2002. Got a 40x2 amp for the front components, the rears are powered by the HU. And the subwoofer is a 12" JL 12w3v3 being fed 400 watts at 2 ohms.

Everywhere I look, they state that 80hz HPF for the main speakers and 80hz LPF for the subwoofer is optimal. However, I find that 80hz HPF for the mains are a little too "tinny" so I tried 60hz and got a "fuller" sound while still able to turn it up loud while the bass (60hz) is set at flat like most of the EQ, although the bass may distort sooner at 60hz vs 80hz but overall I think I like 60hz better for the 6 1/2 speakers front and rear. As for the subwoofer, 100hz LPF seems to have a little more punch than 80hz, but I seem to have a slight phase cancellation with either frequency. If I raise the LPF to 150-180hz the phase seems to go away but I thought those frequencies are too high for the sub to maintain a clean bass signal. Or if I leave it at 80 or 100hz and "reverse" the phase, I notice certain frequencies are no longer cancelling but others start to cancel that weren't before when phase was set to "normal".

I also tried playing with the time alignment but was never able to dial it in where it made such a great difference that I can finally leave it.

Thoughts?