Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Electrical problems 1999 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical problems 1999 Z28

My Camaro was equipped with a shitty aftermarket alarm system when i bought it. I removed it and now the door lock button on the doors wont work. When i push the button there is just a clicking sound coming from around or under the glovebox. and the indoor lights doesnt work. And when i drive it there is the same clicking sound a few times per minute. what's wrong? all of this worked when the alarm was in it. there are some cables left over that i can't find the right place for. 1 purple and 1 red coming from under the glove box. one red and black with a small white connector. 1 blue under the steering wheel. 2 purples coming It's my first car so very thankful for help
Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Does the key fob still work on the door locks?

I suspect that some wires had to be cut when the alarm system was originally installed, are you sure all of those were restored back to their original configuration when you removed it? For example, the inside light circuit was probably used to trigger the alarm, and when it was removed the cut wire was not connected back to where it once came from. I'd try to get the wiring diagram / installation instructions for that alarm system for clues as to what all the extra wires are for, or at least see what circuits needed to be chopped up to install it.